Chapter 10

"Scor," I warned, as Professor Lofting's nostrils flared as she walked past.

Lily gaped open mouthed at the pair of us, as Scorpius leapt to his feet and ran to sit at the Ravenclaw table. Professor Lofting swooped down on him and relaxed somewhat as Scorpius fed her some excuse.

She nodded, her greying hair swaying slightly, and walked up the aisle between the tables to take her seat on the staff table.

He winked at me before turning away to talk to his house mates.

"What is going on with you?" Lily whispered to me.

"Nothing," I replied, looking at her out of the corner of my eyes.

"Sure looks like something," she muttered with raised eyebrows like she doubted me.

I sighed in annoyance but tried to forget about it and concentrate on dodging Hugo's crumpled sheets of parchment he threw in my direction as he continuously attempted to write a letter before deciding that whatever he was writing was no good.

"Who are you writing to?" I asked, completely dumbfounded because Hugo never wrote to anyone. He didn't know anyone to write to, except for family, but since we saw most of them so often, he didn't bother with writing letters for them. It was left to me to update Mum and Dad on his news.

"Nobody," Hugo said shiftily.

"Oh..." Intrigued, I pretended to turn to talk to Al who was sat on my other side, then summoned his current sheet of parchment with accio, snorting slightly as he leapt upwards, his hands flailing for the paper shooting towards me. "Scorpius? What in the name of Merlin are you writing to Scor for?"

I had a distinctly bad feeling settling in the bottom of my stomach.

"No reason, just a friendly message really," Hugh mumbled.

"Oh? Friendly? When you say friendly, just what words were you thinking of writing?"

"Possibly something along the lines of 'Stay away from my sister you son of a bludger!' Friendly enough?" He answered with a fake smile.

"Hugo! Don't you dare send that! Scorpius has done nothing wrong," I whispered harshly, not wanting the entire student body to overhear my personal life.

Hugo glared daggers at me and threw down his quill to cross his arms. "Fine. But don't say I didn't warn you." With that, he stood up and left, storming away from my shocked expression. Hugo could always be a bit immature, but he was usually so calm. The only times I had seen him throw a tantrum were when Dad accidentally broke his first broom by trying it out (proving too heavy for it) and after the Christmas party.

James stared after him before turning to look worriedly at me. "What'd you say to him?"

"Mind your own business," I snapped.

"Sorry," James replied in tones that sounded equally mean.

As the time for our first period drew nearer, Scorpius returned to the Gryffindor table and sat down beside me again.

"Ready for potions?"

"I guess," I replied wearily.

"What's up?" Scorpius asked, sounding concerned.

"Oh, nothing. I just had an argument with Hugo, that's all."

"Let me guess: it was about me."

Unwillingly, I nodded. "How did you know?"

Scorpius gave a sly smile before his fingertips traced over his cheekbone, muttering, "Well his fist was pretty vocal about his dislike for me..."

"Right, I forgot about that. Don't worry he's just being an idiot."