Chapter 12

The sound of over two hundred students shouting and screaming went through the quidditch stadium as the fourteen players kicked off and soared into the air.

Shouts of "Go, go, Gryffindor," came from my end of the stadium where I sat with Scorpius cheering on my former teammates and some of my family.

Lorcan and Lysander Scamander were sharing the commentator's duties and one of them - it was impossible to tell which - was currently running through the Gryffindor team line-up. The seven players, each one in scarlet and gold robes, were hovering in a circle formation opposite the Slytherin players.

"And it's Potter, Seeker and captain of the team this year, stepping forwards to shake hands with Flint of Slytherin. Potter seems to have made some changes to the line-up this year. Replacing last year's keeper, John Smith, is none other than one of Potter's cousins, Louis Weasley. Another new addition to the team is Lily Potter, stepping into the shoes of Rose Weasley, as one third of the Gryffindor Chasers, with Fran Spinnet and Liam Thorpe. Lastly, as ever it's Fred Weasley, longest serving member of the team, and Mason Hunt as Beaters."

I picked up the binoculars hanging around my neck and examined the Slytherin line-up for myself as the other twin introduced them. It was easy to see that their tactics remained as they always had - strength and size rather than speed and skill. Hopefully, it would be an easy win for Gryffindor.

On the coach's whistle the quaffle, snitch and bludgers were released and the game began.

"I bet you," Scor said into my ear, "that Gryffindor will win by forty points."

"This is Gryffindor we're talking about. It'll be at least a seventy point difference."

"Shall we say ten sickles?"

Turning back to the game for a minute, paying close attention to the formations my friends were flying in and the wind speed, I smirked and replied, "You're on."

"And the first ten points go to Gryffindor. Lily Potter, a surprise addition to the Gryffindor team, has neatly put the quaffle through the hoop after a side pass from Spinnet. But can Slytherin equalize?"

It was an odd experience sitting in the stands rather than being out on my broom playing. I missed the feeling of the wind blowing through my hair and the joy of soaring effortlessly above ground. I found myself leaning forwards in anticipation and running through the moves I would have made in my mind.

"Miss it?" Scorpius asked, leaning forwards with his elbows resting on his knees, propping his chin up on fists, so that he could see my face.

One corner of my mouth twisted up into a smile. "Yeah, I do actually."

A collective intake of breath filled the stadium as James was knocked from his broom by a beater's bat to the ribs. Fred was soon coming to his rescue, however, and was able to catch him and help him back onto his own broom.

"So it's a penalty to Gryffindor and Thorpe lines up to take it, and he's drifting off centre towards the right hoop, which doesn't seem like a strategy that would guarantee success-"

"-Lorcan, shut up. You don't know a thing about strategy-"

-"Oh and you do?"

"As a matter of fact, yes!" Lysander asserted, trying to tug the microphone from his brother's grasp.

In the few moments when everyone's attention was fixed on the arguing twins, Liam was able to shoot the quaffle through the center hoop, past the Slytherin keeper's body.

"Oi!" shouted Flint, yelling at his keeper. "Pay attention to the bloody ball, Quinlan!"

Scorpius and I snickered as we saw Quinlan turn red through our binoculars. With vengeance, the Slytherin team threw themselves into a series of brutal fouls. Lily took an elbow to the face, while Louis was winded by two bludgers to the stomach. It was a wonder he'd even managed to stay on his broom. Flint even attempted to kick James from his broom. Not a single member of the Gryffindor team escaped a foul. Fran was nursing a bumped head as Lily lined up to take her penalty.