4

<><><><><>

"We didn't have to leave," Kate grumbled beside me. Her voice grated on my already frayed nerves. I tightened my fist around the steering wheel of the truck. In truth I was surprised it had taken her so long before getting after me about my latest decision. I ran my other hand over my face. I didn't want to go over this again with her, it would just be the same old argument.

She thought we could trust Rick's group, but we couldn't trust anyone. We couldn't risk it.

Trust no one, keep moving, stay alive.

I cut my eyes to her then looked back to the road.

"You know we did." I said resolutely, though even I could hear how tired I sounded. I had been responsible for our safety for so long I hated to admit how nice it was for that week to be able to turn the control over to someone else.

There was a small part of me that wished we could have stayed. But they were headed towards Fort Benning, and after seeing what was left of the CDC I just couldn't risk Kate's safety. She was all I had left.

Kate made a sound of disgust in the back of her throat. "No, I don't." She snapped. "They were good people, they would have protected us and taken care of us."

I slammed on the brakes, jamming the truck into park I whirled on her. "We can protect ourselves," I was so angry so suddenly it surprised even me.

I couldn't believe she would even think that way. That she would think she needed to find someone to protect us instead of learning how to do it for herself. "It's time to grow up," I snapped unkindly. "We don't need anyone to take care of us. We will take care of us and protect us!" I was yelling now and couldn't seem to stop. "You can't depend on anyone in this world!"

"You're just scared." Kate threw back scathingly.

I stared into her eyes, refusing to look away. "Yeah, I am," I agreed completely honest.

A brief moment of triumph flared in her eyes but was quickly snuffed out as I continued. "I was scared that while yes, they welcomed us at first, as soon as the first herd of Them showed up they would remember we were outsiders."

"Rick wouldn't-" Kate started to argue.

I scoffed. "Rick is going to protect his family no matter what. Rick already has two helpless people depending on him. And if you think for a second that he would put either one of us before them you are..." I looked away and shook my head. "Our safety is our responsibility. You can't depend on anyone else."

"Well, they have more than just Rick!" she exclaimed. "Shane and Glenn and Dale and Daryl! They were a strong group," she argued as though there was still a way to change it. We had left the group days back and there was no chance of finding them again even if we wanted to. Which I didn't. We were going to be better off on our own.

I gave her a withering look. "We weren't their responsibility and I wasn't willing to risk either of our lives on their sense of charity." My voice was low and harsh. I would feel bad for being so blunt with her later, but right now she needed to understand. "This isn't a game."

Kate's eyes widened for a second as her temper flared. I recognized the action and knew I had pushed her into a whole new level of pissed off. Kate had always had more of a temper than me. "You think I don't know that!" she raged. "I have lost just as many people as you Jo!" she bellowed. "I have watched every single member of our family die just like you! You think you're the only one who feels that way? You think you're the only one who feels responsible and guilt for surviving? You think you're the only one who can take care of us! But you aren't! You're just scared to let anyone else in! You're terrified of losing someone else!"