56

Hello friends! I hope you enjoy the update!!

Happy Reading!

><><
Jo
><><

The ride to the Hilltop was shorter than I expected. The Hilltop was exactly the opposite direction of the Kingdom and I suddenly understood why Negan was being so careful about these other communities, they could conceivably attack us from both sides and we would be in serious trouble. The strategic advantage that we had against Biters in our location was actually a hindrance against these people. We needed to be more careful than ever.

I sat on the bench seat next to Negan and the two of us rode together in comfortable silence. Dwight was riding in the back with the other soldiers. When Simon had tried to climb in the cab with us Negan had leveled a look at him to send him back with the others. Simon had looked like he had been struck. I tried to bite back my relieved smile. I knew how dangerous this man could be. He was totally without remorse and without conscious and I didn't want him to see a single moment of weakness.

Negan pulled the truck up to the tall gates surrounding what appeared to be a historical farmstead. Two people poked their heads out over the top of the gates. They were gripping spears in their hands.

"Who are you, what's your business here?" one of the men called. There was a slight tremble of fear in his voice.

I let Negan talk to them, that was his job. My job was to keep an eye on our potential enemies, so I kept my eyes on the top of the fence and on the gate for any sign this was turning south. I didn't like it, coming here felt too much like making us needlessly vulnerable. My fingers touched the tips of my knives and I felt a little better, but being in the cab of the truck was starting to make me feel claustrophobic. I couldn't protect us in here. I needed to have room to move.

Negan rolled down his window a sharks grin already stretching his face. "Us?" he asked casually. "We're Negan," the grin froze on his face and his eyes hardened aggressively. "Now open the damn gate," he growled.

I heard a car door slam behind us and Simon jogged up next to our vehicle. He raised a hand to the men standing at the top of the gate. One of the men looked like he may have recognized Simon although he didn't wave back.

"They're with me!" He called to the men above us.

I could actually feel Negan's seething rage over Simon's implication that we worked for him. "Careful," Negan growled in a low tone that only Simon and I heard.

Simon stiffened but the gates swung open, temporarily saving him from Negan's wrath. Negan drove straight up to the house, leaving Simon to walk after us. It was a small reminder to Simon of his place, but it was all Negan could do now without making us appear weak. We couldn't let our enemies know there was dissension in the ranks. I almost pitied Simon knowing the retribution that would follow when we returned home. Almost.

Negan parked the truck just shy of the steps of the big house. The large historic house was not what I expected. I had never visited a historical reinactment site but now that I really started thinking it was a brilliant place to set up for the apocalypse. The place functioned before all of the technology was invented, it made sense that it could function after.

Their fence was made up of huge electrical poles with internal cross beams. It made the place nearly impenetrable. If they turned hostile they would be a tough group to fight head to head. Looking around my only conclusion was, if it came to that, we would have to starve them out. They appeared to have some gardens, but it wouldn't be enough to sustain them for very long. I knew they provided food, but had never thought to ask how much they had in reserve for themselves.