22

Hi guys, I know it's been a while since I've updated. I'm sorry. The holidays are a super busy time for me but I'm back and super excited to get rolling with Negan and Jo again! I really hope you enjoy the update! 

<><><><><>

I trailed after Negan. I wasn't exactly sure why he wanted me with him, but I wasn't going to argue. I needed to figure out what was happening here, and sticking close to Negan seemed like the best way to go about that. Merle and Simon had left to head back towards the market area while Negan led me towards his soldier's dorms. 

All of these seemingly random incidents were beginning to add up to something serious. Individually, they seemed to me to be escalating and that was just the ones I was purvey to. Travis getting shot, the cut fence with the biters, the gunner in the market place, the sabotaged vehicles, and now the stolen guns. I tried to come up with some unifying theory behind why someone would orchestrate all these things, but none of it made sense. They seemed completely unrelated other than the fact that they had all happened over the last few days. But I agreed with Negan, there was no way this was a coincidence. Something was happening inside The Sanctuary. I hated the fact that I didn't know enough about the community itself to be much help. 

Negan led me to several rooms where the soldiers of this place were gathered. Most were relaxing, play cards or some were even watching movies. It felt off, the workers I had met always seemed so busy, but these men somehow had idle time. This clear division of class bothered me, and in fact reminded me a little of Woodbury. It just solidified my decision to work for points along with Merle and Kate. I might not know everything there was to know about this place, but I trusted that if Merle thought it was better to be a worker, than I was with him. 

I glanced towards Negan, but he never looked back at me. He left me to trail behind him like a silent bodyguard. This didn't seem to surprise anyone, so I assumed Negan often had a lacky of some kind with him. I resented that. I wasn't willing to become a tool for Negan any more than I was willing to become one of his little harem. It was no different in my eyes. But today, I could recognize that if we wanted to get information and get to the bottom of what was going on I would have to fall in line and play along. 

It was an odd feeling. Every one of Negan's men raked their eyes over me, but they were clearly more afraid of Negan than me. I recognized some, which meant they had seen me do what I could do, and even knowing that, they feared him more. I already knew Negan was dangerous, but his men's actions just solidified the overwhelming feeling that Negan was the one and only Alpha here. 

His men stood at attention and answered his questions as though he were a general of some kind, but he never acted like one. He laughed and teased and told jokes, but despite the smile on his face the tension in his shoulders never ceased and his men never once looked at ease in his presence. 

We visited room after room, and what struck me most about these people was that they were all fighters. Maybe not exactly like me, but their eyes were all hard from the difficult things they had faced and they had all come out on top. I sort of felt like The Saviors was the wrong name for them. They were the survivors.

Negan led the way to the last door on the floor. He glanced back at me, seeming to acknowledge my presence for the first time in almost an hour. I had expected him to flirt and tease me while we worked, but instead it seemed his whole focus was on finding whoever had taken the guns. "Always the last place you look," he said, the words were meant to be light, but the underlying tension in his voice made me think he was more worried about not getting any answers than he was letting on. "Here we go," he said reaching for the door and flipping it open.