38

Hi all! So...my class is done! Yay!!! To celebrate I wrote something I think you'll all enjoy! 

Happy Reading!

<><><><><>

Jo

I was shocked when they took Negan's offer. It had seemed over the top to me. Half of their scavenged stuff for three months for us to take care of this problem for them. What struck me was how relieved the others looked when Matt accepted Negan's outrageous tax for our help and the two leaders shook hands.

For the meeting Negan had me once more standing at his side as he wrapped up business. When Matt let go of Negan's hand he turned to me and held his hand out. I stared down at it for a second longer than was polite before I accepted it. It felt like such an odd gesture and I was struck by the normalcy of it.

"Thank you," He said sincerely, shaking my hand gently as though he were trying not to hurt me.

I nodded. I wasn't sure why I felt so unsettled. They seemed to feel it was a fair trade and I understood it was business. Maybe it was because of how tired and desperate Matt and the other two seemed. If it was only Scott I would have encouraged Negan to tax him a full six months for our help.

Scott came along behind Matt. As soon as Matt turned towards the door Scott moved to follow.

Negan slid his bat in front of Scott, forcing him to stop. He cocked his head to the side and watched Scott for a moment before he spoke. "Do you know what a handshake is Scotty-boy?" Negan asked.

Scott swallowed and looked from the bat to Negan and back again. Even if Negan hadn't made an example of the young man, I wouldn't have liked him. There was something in the way he moved, the way he watched people around him that was off putting and made me want to be holding a knife.

"You see Scotty, a handshake is a sign of mutual respect. That is not something I offer to too many people, but as you can see I offered it to your boss. Now, I get it. The boss is getting older, you think you could do a better job, but I am telling you right now Scotty. I don't respect you, and your little group would have been dead a dozen times over without my help. You just think about that for a while," Negan advised and he lifted the bat.

Scott fast walked towards where Matt was holding the door, frowning. He was too far away to hear what Negan had said but he nodded in thanks anyway before Merle led the four of them away.

As soon as the door clicked shut Negan turned back to his people. "Sit your asses down," he ordered.

He scrubbed at his eyes and I could see how tired he was. If what Dwight said was true he had been in talks with Matt's group all day. It was a long time to have to put on a show.

"Gavin," Negan said. "Matt's group lives in an old satellite station about fifteen miles from here. I want you to take a team and keep an eye on them. I want to know for sure this isn't some elaborate plan to double cross us."

Gavin nodded.

Negan slid a map across the table towards Simon. "Simon, get a scouting team out there pronto. We need to know what we are walking into. Find their lookouts. Make sure all Matt's info is accurate. They're amateurs and I want to make sure we aren't walking into a trap. Take Dixon. There's still enough light for him to make sure the tracks in the area match their story. Don't engage until we get there."

Simon nodded.

Negan turned to Regina. "Double the lookouts, double the guards, make sure everything is goddamn secure. When we go out to take these bastards make sure the team back home is three times as strong. We aren't taking any chances."