28

Okay so I was going to wait to publish this one since I JUST put out a new update for LOS but I'm too excited to wait! Can't wait to read your thoughts!

Happy Reading!

<><><><><>
Jo

I didn't even know where to start looking for Dwight. He usually just seemed to magically appear whenever I needed something. Now that I was thinking about it that right there should have been a red flag. I headed towards the market. It must have still been early because it wasn't very busy and the stalls that served breakfast and the ever important one that served coffee were just getting moving for the day.

I didn't see anyone I recognized and I stood up on my tip toes to see over the top of a few stalls. I gritted my teeth when I still didn't spot anyone I knew. Dwight was a worker so his apartment must have been near Merle and Kate's. I turned to head in that direction when I spotted Regina. She was cutting her way to the front of the coffee line, sneering at anyone who seemed to have a problem with that. I jogged over to her and heard a few exclamations of complaint behind us. I ignored them. I wasn't staying.

"Jo," she said in surprise. "I thought I heard you were down," she said and her eyes ran over me. They lingered a little long on my hair and I was sure it was a mess, sticking up in random directions but I didn't care. I had been through an explosion and slept on it.

"Yeah, I'm good," I responded curtly. "Look I need Dwight," I said firmly. "I need to know where his apartment is."

Regina's eyebrows rose and she immediately looked uncomfortable. She glanced at the people nearby and took me by the arm, pulling me aside so no one could overhear us. "Look Jo," she said uncomfortably. "I know what you said about not being one of Negan's but he's made it pretty clear how he feels and that he-"

I was shaking my head. "No, no, it's nothing like that," I assured her not bothering to even consider what she was implying about Negan. "I just need to speak with Dwight. It's urgent."

Regina looked at me uncertainly. She licked her lips and frowned. "Look, aren't you supposed to be in bed somewhere? After what happened yesterday, maybe you should visit Doc Carson..."

She was hedging, trying to get me to agree while not outright refusing to give me what I was asking for. If she was higher rank than me she would have just shot me down. I had seen how Regina treated the people under her, and it wasn't very nicely. I had a feeling this was Negan interfering somehow, but I wasn't going to let it bother me now. Not when it might prove actually useful. I might not enjoy playing the game here, but I certainly was starting to understand how it worked.

Weakness into strength.

I drew in a centering breath and let go. I let all the dark places that lived in the back of my head shine out my eyes as I leveled a severe glare at Regina. "Tell me where Dwight's apartment is," I commanded, using the same uncompromising tone I had often heard from Negan.

Regina's eyes widened and she took half a step back from me. Her hand twitched towards her gun and I cocked my head, my eyes following the motion. I let her see that I had noticed and my fingers traced the tops of my throwing knives. She swallowed thickly and she clasped her hands together in front of her and dropped her chin. "Workers apartments, east hall number twenty-nine," she reported robotically, her voice tight with fear.

"Thank you," I said and I flashed her a smile that was aggressive and had too much teeth.

She flinched again and dropped her gaze. There was a part of me that relaxed when she so obviously submitted to me. I clenched my teeth, hating it. I wasn't an animal, this wasn't a pack and I didn't need to be alpha.