6

<><><><><>

The sound of metal clanging against metal woke me. I groaned as I rolled over. The clanking came again. I was on the ground, why was I on the ground? My head was pounding and I couldn't remember. Growling came from behind me. Ignoring the pain I frantically rolled over and scrambled back, desperate to put as much distance between myself and Them as possible.

My back hit the far wall before my eyes and brain caught up to the fact that They were contained in the cell next to me. The cell. I was in a cell. My memory quickly filled in all the pieces from the night before. It didn't seem possible. This couldn't be real. But looking around at the small metal cell with the dirt floor I knew it was. I had done it again, made the wrong choice and Kate and I were going to suffer for it.

I breathed deeply, trying to get my heart to slow down. I needed to think. For right now, in this second I was safe. They couldn't reach me. I needed a plan.

The metal clanged again from the door of the cell. I snapped my head to the right to see Merle standing at the bars less than ten feet away. The metal casing on one of his arms was resting against the metal of the bars. In his hand was a bowl.

"Rise and shine sleeping beauty," he drawled a smirk plastered on his face.

I scowled at him. He was the one who had knocked me out and dragged me down here for Phillip...no, for The Governor.

He chuckled again. "Frowning at me like that won't change a thing," he stooped down and slid the bowl through the widest part of the bars.

I stared at the bowl but refused to move.

"Aw come on," he said. "Don't be like that. Gotta eat, keep your strength up."

"He can't keep me in here," I said, pleased my voice came out steady, because the truth was, he absolutely could keep me here. He was The Governor and Woodbury was his.

"Why's that?" Merle drawled his southern accent thick.

I stared at him, wanting him to feel guilty for his part in this, but he refused to look away.

"He-" I started to say and then stopped. "They'll notice I'm gone."

"Who?" Merle asked with a teasing smile.

"My sister," I muttered not longer caring that I had been speaking to Merle. If Kate figured out I was missing, if she had an inclination I had been taken she would make a scene, and...

I looked up at Merle, my eyes wide. "Oh don't worry your pretty little head, he'll come up with a good lie. He always does. It's easier, less noticeable if she just continues to get along."

"She's my sister," I muttered as the true horror of my situation started to sink in. There was only one person left in this world who gave a damn about me and if she figured out what had happened he would kill her. I really was trapped.

Merle snorted. "He's had all sorts down here," he called walking towards the door.

I frowned and climbed to my feet, moving towards the bars. There were other cells that I could see, but only mine and the one with Them were occupied.

"Where are they now?" I asked, fighting to keep my voice even and put on a brave face. The Governor had mentioned the ring, mentioned fighting, there was really only one thing that could have happened to them. "What's going to happen to me?"

Merle stopped with his hand on the door for the briefest of seconds he looked apologetic as his eyes ranged over the empty cells. "You're gonna fight," he said grimly.