➸ v o i c e o f s o l a c e

Maxwell , was this his real name? Aislin doubted it. She looked at the bracelet on his study table and hesitated to make the decision. Last time the Hermit met he told her she was a counter, an antidote to his Ayduin's curse. It almost felt like she was made to be his, his better half. But then her own cursed registered.

Before she could ask about her deathly curse, Hermit had gleefully said 'session ends' and she being on constant watch had to agree.

If she stuck with Ayduin just as a counter and started to get close, even with just his voice in her head she felt so lured towards him. And then closer she would get, more in danger he will be. Could she handle another loss? And that too of a Prince so selfless and brave, future ruler of a Kingdom? The idea scared the hell out of her and also made her resolute enough to stat disconnected for a long period of twenty-nine days.

Tomorrow successfully she will reach the mark of a month. She was miserable but also proud of her self-restraint. The month had been monotonous and miserable.

She had gone to school, attended classed walked back and then every other attended session with Dr Andrew. With her excellent attendance and increase in sleep, he had reduced the sessions to once in a week.

Two days from now will be her Math Decathlon and truthfully she had worked harder than she should, she had put all her mind in loud music and math equations trying to put a lid on her bottle of overwhelming feelings.

Anthony was kind of useless decathlon partner, he never once called or helped her out. He didn't even look at her in class and that didn't bother her much since he seldom looked at anyone but as representatives of school they should have collaborated more.

Before the accident happened, she was so normal. She had friends, a bestie and a boyfriend but now like Ayduin, she was a loner. She groaned internally, where did Ayduin come from now?

People still talked to her but she had no close friend or any friend for that matter of fact.

Did she need a friend? Did she need someone with whom she could share her pains and thoughts with? Having Ayduin's voice in her head made her realise she might be lonelier than she thought.

There was knock on the door.

"Yes mom, you don't need to knock." She said tiredly.

"I have made some snacks, want to come down and eat?" She asked smiling and encouraging.

"No, thanks" She replied with too much haste.

Disappointment coloured her mother's face.

It was only the talent of a mother to tolerate a sulky child for so long. She never wavered, was never angry and always smiled at her.

"On other thought, I am starving somehow." She said trying to make up for her mistake.

They sat on the patio with nachos, hot sauce and green tea. She munched them on silently glad that her mother never pestered her.

"Do you think life without friends will be impossible? Boring?" She asked her mother since they were there.

"Yes, Lina it will be. I am not saying that one can't survive on their own or that you need to have support because you are weak. I am saying that everything is better and fun when you have someone to share it with." Her mother explained it well.

"And is it possible to be just friends with someone who you are attracted to?" She asked unintentionally and bit her tongue in realisation.

"Oohh... Is there a guy in scenario Lina?" Her mother asked her girly mode on.

She tsked in response and despite of herself a grin developed on her face.

"It is nothing like that. I am just doing a survey based on movie stats. I mean the movie friends always date each other in the end." She tried desperately to explain herself.

Her mother laughed at her hurried explanations.

"Well it depends on both if the girl has feelings for the guy and guy doesn't then they could be friends and vice versa. But if both are attracted, I assure you it will be really hard to be just friends." Her mother said still eyeing her suspiciously.

She thought about her and Ayduin's situation. She had not even seen the guy and only heard him a few times in her head, yet he had an undeniable effect on her. But he was a terribly double personality with her, there was no indication or hope that he was a bit attracted to her. Just the one time she wore the blue dress his response had been pleasantly amazing.

So does her curse work if it was the case of unrequited love? Or does it has to be both ways for it to work?

"So what if you know that your friendship will be harmful to another person. Do we still keep the friendship?" She asked feeling uncomfortable with the response.

"That is for the other person to decide. You might know that your friendship will be bad for him or that you might ruin his life but it is his life and he gets to decide what he wants. Maybe your friendship is important to him over anything else." Her mother explained.

So she should allow Ayduin to decided whether he wants to be her friend or not and he also hasn't pushed her away when she told him she was cursed that means he had no intention of falling for the girl.

She realised the lessons were helping her, she getting good with sharing her feelings.

"You know Lina, your father was a very poor student. And I was the class nerd. All he paid attention to was girls and music. He was my secret crush. I never asked him out because I was shy and then one day while I was tutoring on his bandmates, he told me how your father loved me and thought he was undeserving for an intelligent girl like me so he never asked me out. Well..rest you know and then you came along." Her mother told the story with a fond smile.

So it was her mother's decision to marry a struggling musician because she loved him.

But why would Ayduin accept a cursed girl's voice in his head?

Because he is also in the same condition as you and has no one else to share his pain with. He needs a voice of reason, a voice of a friend.

Hermit did tell her that he had never opened to anyone like he did to her.

"Thank you, mom." She said giving her the brightest smile.

"Anytime dear." Her mother said with an obvious satisfied look that she talked with her so freely after such a long time.

She decided, after the decathlon, she will wear the bracelet. She needed a friend and she hoped so did Ayduin.

***

Ok kind of a filler chapter, because the next one is really long.

Pro: You will get the next one tomorrow :D And it is definitely better than this one!

Enjoy and don't miss out on other books on my profile!