Chapter 3 - Muffet's Tour

"There's daggers in men's smiles."

- William Shakespeare 

I don't know what got her heart set on "grumpy pants," but that's what she chose to call me whenever the occasion arose. She would always smile whenever I gave her a look of dislike towards that nickname, but she seemed to be able to tell when I was actually too grumpy for such a nickname. I have my moments of lucidity, and I have my moments of constant irritation, where anything and everything could set me off. Well, except for her. I don't know what it was about her, but my mind's anger switch never seemed able to be flipped if it was directed at her.

It had been two days now since she arrived, making it early Sunday when Toriel piled Frisk and I into her car so Frisk could have a "tour of her new school." Toriel nearly bit my head off when I tried to get into the passenger seat with a shout of, "Shotgun!" It earned a smile from Frisk but a scowl from the goat monster as she placed a not so gentle hand on my shoulder and stated that Frisk would be sitting in the front. Frisk came to stand next to me and assured her that she would be alright in the backseat, and I grinned triumphantly as I quickly slipped into the passenger seat before I could be stopped.

Frisk smiled at me as she climbed into the backseat, leaving Toriel to frown as she went around to get into the driver's seat. I didn't have to look back as I held my hand over the shoulder of my seat to her, commenting with a chuckle, "Thanks, Rosy." She grinned and gave me a high five.

It wasn't that long of a drive, and to be honest, we could've walked, but since Toriel had insisted on driving us there and leaving, it was hard to say no. I got out of the car first and started for the front doors of the main building, but I stopped and sighed when Toriel cleared her throat. I knew what she wanted, but I really wasn't the "gentleman" type, but I knew better than to argue right then, as I turned around and opened the door for Frisk. She smiled up at me like she always did, quickly getting out of my way for me to close the door again as she added, "Thank you, Sans."

"Don't mention it, dollface," I replied as I turned back towards the school, knowing she knew what I meant. It seemed to be a phrase that was ours, one that only we knew what it meant.

"Hey, Sans?" She called out as she quickly caught up to me.

"Yeah?"

"Why did you call me Rosy?"

I stopped and turned to her, motioning to the marks that dotted her fragile skin. Most were hidden under her long sleeves and pants since it was Fall, but there was a thin line of yellow ones across her throat. Old bruises, old scars that would never fully fade away. But there was a deep red one on her forehead where her head had been slammed against the wall by Undyne, splitting it open. I had lost it, and Frisk had to pull me off of the fish monster before I could do any real damage. Undyne had laughed and mocked how I was listening to my pet. You're damn right no one hurts my pet.

"'Cause the marks look like flowers, and most are red."

"But they don't look like roses," Frisk argued gently, even when she was trying to prove a point by arguing, her words still dripped with kindness. I rolled my eyes and waved it off as I replied, "Yeah, but little Rose seems a lot better than just red flower, don't ya think?" She smiled that sweet little smile she seemed to save just for me. What was I to her in just a couple days? She was nothing more than mine. My...partner. My pet...

"I like that...little Rose..."

"I'm good at nicknames," I stated with a little bit of pride, chuckling. "A lot better than you."

She opened her mouth to say something, but she was cut off by a voice I knew all too well. I groaned and turned to look. Of course it was her. Why wouldn't it be?