Chapter 15 - Overwhelmed

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."

- William Shakespeare

I couldn't help but smile when he took the seat first and held out his arms to me, open and inviting as he commented, "Come 'ere, sweetheart." I didn't argue. How could I? He wasn't going to take no for an answer, and I knew that, but I also knew how much I truly did enjoy being in his arms, even though I highly doubted I would ever have the courage to tell him that. As a child of mercy and love for everything, I knew how I felt about him, and it had started since the day we met. He was like a delightful piece of candy, hard and sour on the outside, but soft and sweet on the inside. He had a good heart and a soul to match, and he...meant a lot to me. I couldn't deny that to myself.

"Whatcha thinkin' 'bout, Rosy?" Sans asked, nonchalantly, on the bus ride to school as he placed his chin on my shoulder, one eye closed and the other gazing at me curiously. I couldn't help the blush that covered my cheeks at his question and the perfect timing of it. Of course he would ask that right as I was thinking about him...about how I felt. He grinned, however, picking up almost immediately when I became flustered as he pressed his cheek against mine and crooned, "Aw, ya were thinkin' 'bout me, weren't ya?"

"Maybe I was thinking about someone else." My counter was playful, but the look on his face both worried me and tugged at my heart strings. There was a flash of pain in his eyes when he heard that, but also anger, a dangerous kind of angry. His arms tightened around me, and he looked like he was about to ask who it was, but I knew that whichever name I gave, he would storm after them angrily, so I just came clean as I smiled reassuringly at him, "Yes, Cherry, I was thinking about you."

"I knew it."

I smiled at that as he pressed his face into my neck, causing a new flush to brush across my cheeks as I laid my arms around his neck to hold him closer. He was getting...bolder. That's the only way I could describe it, and every time he looked at me when we were by ourselves or wrapped up together, there was this glint of...want in his eyes, and it was always directed towards and about me. I never knew how to handle such a look, nor did I know how to handle when I felt his face press close to my neck. I usually just...smiled. I smiled in my own bashful little habit, but also because whenever I did, his eyes would light up. He seemed secretly delighted to see me happy. He didn't need to hide it...

"Come on..." He hummed, begrudgingly lifting me to my feet again once the bus arrived at school though his arms remained around my waist almost long enough for me to trip because I couldn't move adequately. To make up for the loss of contact that we both seemed to enjoy, I took his hand, finding great comfort in it ever since we had made this a habit. From the outside, we must have looked like a couple with his jacket around me and my hand in his, but to be honest, I didn't know what we were. All I could say was that he was my best friend, and he meant the world to me.

"Hello, Frisk!" A familiar voice called to me as both Sans and I turned to look at who it was after stepping off of the bus. I smiled upon spotting her as I turned on my tracks and headed for her as I greeted, "Good morning, Vix!"

I felt Sans' hand tighten around mine as he slowed, but I was still eager to say good morning to one of my new found friends after not seeing her since last Friday, but I moved far too fast for my own good. My leg gave way out of protest of the excess strain as it buckled beneath me, and I stumbled. I gasped as I fell, bracing for a jolting impact with the ground, but it never came as Sans' arm wrapped around my middle and lifted me back onto my feet. I smiled gratefully at him, but I now was noticing the way Vix was looking at Sans. It was an angry, accusatory look, and I didn't understand what was going on until she looked at me and then looked down, having obviously seen my limp. Oh, no...she couldn't possibly think...