Chapter 9 - Last Day

"Reputation is an idle and most false imposition; oft got without merit, and lost without deserving." 

- William Shakespeare

"Sans," a soft voice called, stirring me from my sleep as I groaned and rolled over, pulling the pillow over my head. God dammit, Toriel. Leave me alone.

It wasn't Toriel.

"Come on, Cherry." I could hear the smile in her voice as the bed creaked when she put her knees on the edge of it, leaning over my back to look at my face. I blinked open one eye to look up at her, finding her beaming down at me as I grumbled, "What time is it...?"

"Time for you to get a watch," Frisk replied playfully as she placed her arms on my side and rested her chin on them. I gave a low, tired chuckle despite myself as I motioned towards the nightstand and responded, "I gotta watch...Too lazy to get it...What time is it...?"

"Time for you to get up," she stated cheekily as she tugged at my shirt, but when I groaned and pulled the blankets over my head again, she decided it was time to take matters into her own hands. "Fine. Don't get up, but I'm taking your jacket."

My eyes shot open, and I could hear her giggling as she grabbed the jacket and bolted for the door. She was quick, I'll give her that, but I was also still half asleep as I stumbled from the bed nearly falling flat on my face. She peered back through the doorway to reveal that she had put the jacket on since the hood was up, the fluff completely blocking half of her face because of how big it was on her.

But I could still see her smile.

She pushed the hood up more so she could actually see me, and I had to admit to myself that she looked really cute in that moment, but of course. I had to go and ruin it...or make it better. It could really have been taken either way. I smirked at her and jumped forward, reaching for her. She squealed and turned, bolting down the hallway as I gave chase. We tried to be quiet. We really did.

Or at least, she did.

I didn't really care.

"Get back here, Rose!"

"Shh, Sans!" She giggled as she rounded a corner into the playroom, but the open space would prove to be her downfall as I managed to snag the edge of my jack and tug hard enough to slow her down. She gasped as she tumbled, but I was there quick enough to catch her as we both went crashing into the couch. Thankfully, she landed on top of me and not the other way around. With bare bones like mine, one wrong press, and she'd have a new fresh red flower to taint her delicate skin. She laughed from on top of me, her eyes gleaming in the sunlight streaming in through the back sliding glass door as I stared at her for a second in almost...awe. I reached up and placed a hand on her cheek, brushing my thumb across it. I was turning over a new leaf...but I wanted to go at her speed.

A blush crept across her face. "Sans?"

"Ya look good in my coat, sweetheart," I hummed with a smile, chuckling as her face became beat red, and she buried it in my shirt, pulling the hood over her head. I smiled and slipped a hand under the hood to run my fingers through her hair, enjoying the soft feel of the chocolate brown strands as a soft hum resonated from her chest, and she rested her cheek on my chest. She seemed to really enjoy when I messed with her hair. I would have to remember to do that more often.

"Frisk." We both turned to see Toriel standing there, and if Frisk wasn't red before, she certainly was now as she pulled the hood down even farther. I chuckled and wrapped my arms around her as Toriel shook her head with an obvious effort of trying not to smile as she asked, "Are you going to show him what you did?"