Chapter 13 - Truancy

"Most dangerous is that temptation that doth goad us on to sin in loving virtue."

- William Shakespeare

"A-A...A date?" The look of surprise was priceless on her face as a soft red spread across her cheeks, blending into a few of the flowers, but Frisk soon frowned as she asked, "What about school? And Miss Toriel! We lied to her!"

I just smiled, reaching out to tap her nose lightly as I countered lightheartedly with a mischievous glint in my eyes, "Ya didn't lie, Rosy. Can't lie if ya don't know, but did I lie either?"

"You told her we were riding the..." I grinned when her voice trailed off, and I laughed when she playfully hit my arm with the back of her hand as she mused, "You're such a troublemaker."

I smiled and wrapped an arm around her shoulders, pulling her close to me and pressing my cheek against her temple as I teased, "But ya love me anyways." I caught that blush on her cheeks, but she seemed to play it off as she smiled and rolled her eyes towards me, neither confirming nor denying what I said with what she replied with, "You're lucky."

I didn't reply to that because it was the truth. I was lucky, but I was too frazzled by the multiple meanings behind the two words she had just spoken to think over how lucky I was to have her next to me, to have her under my arm. I chuckled nervously and pressed my teeth to her temple as I asked, "Now how 'bout we start the date by gettin' somethin' to eat?"

Frisk smiled and eagerly nodded as I led her into the mall, grateful that it opened so early; at least this one did. It was the only one to open before 10am, and with it being 7am, it was open pretty damn early. I chuckled when one of the employees from one of the food shops caught sight of us and glared at us as if their gaze were daggers. Too bad, buddy. You're already here. Might as well do your job that you're getting paid for. I smirked as I steered her towards that specific stall and hummed to her, "Why don'tcha see what they got here?"

"Are you sure, Cherry...?" Frisk asked unsure and nervous, her hand finding mine like it always did. "I don't want you to have to spend money on me..."

I waved the motion off and pushed her forward, encouraging her to order as I replied, "Don'tcha worry your pretty lil' head off, Rosy." She nodded slightly, still seeming as if she didn't want to make me pay for her, remaining the kind and generous person that she was, but then something seemed to click in her mind as her eyes snapped over to me thoughtfully. Somehow, I knew exactly what she was thinking as I chuckled and turned her around to face the cashier, rumbling through my laughter, "I'm not gonna be stealin' anythin', Rosy."

Her face relaxed as she nodded and gazed up at the menu with wide eyes and a look of wonder. She must not be used to going out very much. I told myself I would have to do that more often. However, when I caught the look of angry annoyance on the cashier's face as he looked at my Rose, as if he were trying to hurry her along with just a look, rush her with a glare, I frowned as I shifted closer to her to catch his attention. Once his gaze shifted to me, he seemed to pale by the death glare I shot at him as I slipped my hands into the pockets of my jacket that she still wore and rested my head on her shoulder. She wasn't paying very much attention, which I was grateful for since she didn't deserve the look she had been previously been getting, as she patted my cheek gently and hummed, "Hi, Cherry."

"Heya, Rosy." I smirked at her lack of attention as she decided what she wanted to order. This place was known for its chicken sandwiches, but since it was breakfast time, she got little versions of it where it was little chicken bites wrapped in sweet tasting bread buns. I shrugged and got the same thing she did before pulling out the cash that I needed to pay for it as I teased, "See? Didn't have'ta steal it." She rolled her eyes and grinned as we found a table to eat at.