Chapter 17 - Mine

"Like as the waves make towards the pebbl'd shore, so do our minutes, hasten to their end."

- William Shakespeare

"Hey, Cherry..." Frisk called gently as she placed a gentle hand on my shoulder, waking me up as tenderly as she could. Her warm smile was the first thing I saw, and tibia honest, if I could wake up to that view every morning, I wouldn't complain. It was earlier than I usually got up, so I was still incredibly groggy and out of it as I reached out and pulled her to my chest for a hug, grumbling, "Mornin', Rosy..."

She smiled against my chest and replied, "Good morning, Cherry."

I almost fell back asleep with her warmth pressed so close to me, her breathing slow and steady, a rhythmic metronome to fall asleep to, but she gave an amused smile and pulled away. Her movement jerked me awake again as she grinned down at me and hummed, "Come on, Cherry. We need to put the beds away so Mrs. Toriel won't get mad at us again."

I groaned at the thought and nodded as I reluctantly sat up. When she saw I was finally up, she beamed down at me and pulled the blanket from me so she could start folding it up. I shivered at the sudden rush of cold as I reached out and tugged at the bottom of the large t-shirt she had slept in, pulling her down into my lap as she gasped. She sat between my legs as I wrapped my arms around her and commented, "Jeebus, Rosy! Gotta warn a guy before ya take his only warmth! Yer gonna keep me warm now."

She gave a soft laugh, hardly a blush touching her cheeks to my surprise as she kissed my forehead with a mumbled, "Sorry." She must be getting used to me and my touches, which as much as the thought of her being comfortable and accepting of me and what I did made me happy, I did miss how flustered she used to get. I guess I would have to try a few more new things to get her fumbling over her words and her hands. After a few minutes of us staying just like that, she reluctantly pulled away as she stood again, resuming to her task of folding my blanket as I noticed that she had already packed up the makings of her temporary bed. Standing next to her, I moved to help her, refusing to let her do it on her own when it wasn't even her own that she was packing up.

Once we got it all folded and stacked for easy carry, we took the pillows and blankets back to the linen closet before Frisk disappeared into the girls' room so she could change out of her pajamas. It felt weird to walk away from where she had left, but I myself had to change out of my white t-shirt and my black basketball shorts that had two white stripes on either side. The shorts that I changed into weren't that different from what I slept in other than the fact that the stripes were yellow as I changed from the white t-shirt into my red sweater as I reached into the drawer of the nightstand by my bed side for something I hadn't worn in a long time: a golden necklace with a gold star hanging from it. I don't know why, but I felt compelled to wear it that day.

When I left the boys' room, she was waiting for me, tucked into my jacket once again as her hand shot out, open and inviting as it waited for mine. I couldn't help the small smile that crossed over my face as I took her outstretched hand and allowed her to lead me to the mess hall to get breakfast. My mouth watered at the spread because I wasn't used to getting up this early, so I wasn't used to getting the fresh food or the best picks. Frisk just giggled as I rushed off to make my plate, following after me a little slower as she made her own plate before sitting next to me as I took my usual seat. I beamed at her, eager and overjoyed over the food as a warm affectionate smile lit up her face in response, seemingly elated with my happiness.

Everyone else seemed to be surprised that I was already there, even Chara and Asriel were when they came to join us for breakfast, later being joined by MK who was cautious and nervous when he spotted the siblings sitting with us. Frisk, however, flashed him a friendly smile and waved him over. He seemed delighted by her offer as he sat on the other side of Frisk from me. Breakfast was uneventful, and Toriel seemed none the wiser to where we had slept when she came in as well, and I smiled when I realized that. Frisk smiled as well because she knew.