Chapter 4 - Prey

"As flies to wanton boys, are we to the gods; they kill us for their sport." 

- William Shakespeare

Call me sadistic. Call me mean. Both are true in their own way, especially when it comes to the latter, but I honestly liked the thought of someone being mine. There was a sort of pride to it, but also a sense of power, and while I may be a monster with magic -being the sole reason I can even be alive right now- I was at the lowest end of society. We all were thrown into an orphan's version of a halfway house. Toriel was great, but she also had a tendency to snap, and Asgore was cold and distant, preferring the business side of the orphanage rather than the caretaking side. With everyone else having such power and status above me, made me appreciate having the same sort of power and respect I earned from her. That's why I liked her company. That's why I smiled at her even though I used to rarely smile. That's it...

I went over the rules with her again as Toriel drove us school the next day, and Frisk nodded in understanding as I listed them out. I emphasized the staff room rule just like I had before. I couldn't afford to let her out of my sight, but I had to. We weren't in the same grade. She was bound to be taken away, and I scowled at the thought. She was mine. Who were they to say I couldn't stay with her or she couldn't stay with me? She was a smart girl. I'm sure she could've caught up to the lesson level.

Muffet was the one who was chosen to take Frisk to her classes. She smirked at me as she rested a hand on Frisk's shoulder in order to guide her there, and the slight flicker of discomfort in Frisk's eyes made me step forward, prepared to take my pet back. Muffet turned and tisked me softly, her grin still playing across her lips as she assured, "She'll be fine, Sansy. Go to class now." She then turned her attention to Frisk and continued, "Come along now, deary. Don't want to be late."

Frisk turned to look at me, seeking my reassurance, but I couldn't give it. Again I was sinking. Sure, she would probably be returned to me at the end of the day, but I had my own classes with walls, doors, and hallways in between us. If something happened, I couldn't be there to uphold my obligation and keep my promise. So instead, I sank into that familiar pit, choosing to sever any attachment I held as I stated simply, "Go with Muffet, Frisk." Her eyes clouded over with sadness at the use of her actual name, but still...she smiled.

"See you at lunch, then?"

"Yeah...Sure, kid."

She reached out to grasp my hand, giving it a quick reassuring squeeze before Muffet pulled her away. I knew that Muffet wouldn't hurt her. Her previous words echoing in my head as I made my way to class.

"Watch over her. Virtue is bold, and goodness never fearful."

She was right. Frisk always smiled through any pain inflicted upon her as if she were trying to alleviate any possible guilt of her attacker. She was too good for her own good. She was the peace in the violence, and I was still on the fence whether I even wanted that peace, that calmness.

I tried my best to pay attention in class just to get my mind off of her. It was funny really. She was changing me to the point where I wanted to pay attention in class, not for the sake of learning anything, mind you. However, the moment that bell rang, I was lightning bolting from my seat, but a chuckle from a familiar fish girl made me slow my pace as I stuffed my hands into my pockets and made my way to the cafeteria. When I didn't immediately see her, a feeling of slight unease started to sink into my bones, but I hid it well as I kept my head down. That's when I felt a gentle hand on my arm, and I knew that could only be one person as I felt my anger start to settle again. That is, until I looked at her.