Chapter 19 - Weak Knees

"I must be cruel, only to be kind."

- William Shakespeare

I was surprisingly not the first one awake as I shifted and turned to snuggle deeper into the warm wall in front of me, finding the edge of whatever bed I was laying on to be very close to my back. My mind thought of the previous day's events and was overcome with a flurry of different emotions. The fact that I was Sans' girlfriend now and that he kissed me carved a smile into my face as butterflies fluttered in my stomach. I was his girlfriend. He was my boyfriend. My smile widened before it was stolen away by the memory of how the night ended.

I could still hear the anger in his voice as he yelled at Toriel as she tore me away from him, but Asgore held him back, preventing him from running to me. I had clung to him up until the point I was pulled away, and being the good girl that I am, I let her lead me away from him. His eyes had been wild, a flaming angry red, threatening to use the power that always impressed and intrigued me, but at that moment, I was neither. My eyes were brimmed with tears as I shook my head at him. As much as I wanted nothing more than to be in his arms again, I couldn't allow him to lash out and hurt them just to get that again. He looked so defeated, so sad and yet so furious as he continued to yell at Toriel, but her response was what confused me...

'I just have one more night to deal with your bullshit, Sans, and all I have to do is keep her away from you for that night...'

"Sweetheart?" I jumped when I felt his hand on my face as his thumb brushed away the tears I hadn't even realize I had been crying, and he tipped my chin up to look at my face. "Sweetheart, what's wrong? Wake up." I finally opened my eyes to look up at him, slightly surprised to find him there with me as I realized that the barrier in front of me wasn't a pillow trapped between me and the wall next to my bed, but was actually Sans. I nearly started sobbing at the sight of him as I realized he was actually there, not kept away from me as I, in the spur of the moment, took his face into my hands and kissed him. His worry was replaced with amusement as he chuckled, his hand on my cheek slipping into my hair to hold me close.

I wrapped my arm tightly around his middle and pulled him close as a few more tears fell down my face. When we finally pulled away from the kiss, he smiled down at me as he pressed his forehead to mine and greeted, "Well, g'mornin' to ya too, Rosy..."

I couldn't help but give a small laugh as I beamed up at him and replied, "Good morning, Cherry."

I shivered as the chill finally set in, and I shifted closer to him, my knees and lower thighs surprisingly brushing against loose fabric as if it was the blanket over us. "Why is it so cold...?"

"'cause yer just wearin' my shirt."

My face must have been dark as I blushed, my hand slipping down to pull the edge of the shirt down further as I mushed myself as close to him as I could to hide how flustered I was at that fact. He just chuckled and wrapped his arms around me as he hummed, "Ya look good in my shirt, by the way..." This time, I gave a bashful smile as well, but it was hidden away in his shirt as I felt his hand move to rest on my thigh, tugging at the hem of the shirt as he added, "But I bet it'd look better off ya..."

"C-Cherry!" I squeaked as my flustered hands reached for his to push his away, but he just laughed and kissed my forehead, respecting my boundaries enough not to move any further but still leaving his hand there. My eyes widened, however, as he smirked at me, taking advantage of my now sobered from exhaustion state to make fun of how apparently clingy and, to him, flirtatious I had been before as he teased, "What's the matter? Last night ya couldn't keep yer hands off me..."