Chapter 12 - Next Stop: Truancy

"Love cannot be found where it doesn't exist, nor can it be hidden where it truly does."

- William Shakespeare

She was doing something to me. She wasn't trying to change who I was but more along the lines of trying to bring out the best in me, and she did, for the most part. She always made me smile, and she lit up every room that she walked into, even if others wanted to extinguish that light of hers. I had only known her for a little over a week...It wasn't a very long time if I was even honest with myself, but like I said before...she was the type of person that you could love in an instant and hold for eternity, and holding her was all I ever wanted to do even if I couldn't admit it yet. Despite what she thought just a couple days prior, I did thoroughly enjoy her company, and I often scoffed at myself and shook my head, but I had already given in. I had already decided that I would give in to her and try...for her.

My wish of having her close was realized that Monday morning, just not in the way I would have liked. I opened my eyes to find her face only a couple feet away from me, but something was wrong. Why was she here? More importantly, why was she in that chair by my bed wrapped up in my jacket? I didn't mind her wearing my jacket since she had been basically since that incident in the woods with Alphys and Undyne, but now as I looked upon her face, which had been smiling and happy the night before, I was becoming increasingly worried. I became even more so when I moved out of my bed to move closer to her and saw the wet, shimmering streaks down her face. She had been crying.

I frowned and stooped over, carefully slipping my arms around her as I picked her up. Her head lolled in her unconscious state, and I quickly readjusted so it would fall against my chest as I turned back to my bed, having to walk around to the other side so I could lay her on it and have her head resting on the pillow. She stirred slightly, and I felt the slight urge of panic to sooth her back to sleep, but she simply mumbled something that sounded suspiciously like my name and buried her face deeper into the pillow. I let out a breath of relief and was tempted to crawl in next to her, but I just tucked the blankets around her. Now that I was awake and aware of my actions, the thought of lying with her made a deep red blush spread across my cheek bones, so I simply traded places with her and took my spot in the chair she had just been curled up in. She was smaller than me, though, and I was too big and had too much dignity to curl up in that chair like a frightened child, feeling like it would be different to find me like that than her. I just settled down into the cushions and leaned my head back against the back of the chair, trying to relax and get comfortable.

As awake as I was, I was still the lazy asshole that I had always been and quickly fell back asleep with the reassurance that she was safely by my side and tucked comfortably in my bed. When I woke up a few hours later with the alarm clock, however, the events that followed soon after caused the panic to rise up again. She wasn't in my bed where I had last seen her, but I wasn't freaking out yet, figuring that she had gotten up early like she always did and went down to the mess hall. I pulled myself out of the chair, sore and groggy as I stumbled out of the room and down the stairs in search of her. That's when the panic started.

I couldn't find her.

I was quick on my feet to search high and low for her before I went searching for who I thought could have caused my girl's disappearance. I could already feel the spark in my soul bringing my eye to light as I scanned each room for my target before my gaze landed on the pair in the playroom, hanging out before they went to get on the school bus.

"Undyne..." I growled as I stormed over quicker than she expected me to be able to move, the surprise evident on her face when she felt something encase her, trapping her. I lifted my left hand, and her eyes widened at the red aura flickering around it like a flame as she asked, "You have powers? But only boss monsters have powers like that!"