Chapter 6

It has been a week, that Misaki saw daylight again. She had been at the lowest she felt, and moaned around the house, not doing anything productive besides visiting the cemetery. However, her friends (consisting of Guy, Asuma, Kurenai and Genma only since the few others were on missions) had managed to get hold of her, and literally dragged her out of the house to meet some decent food, because all she had for the past week were just fruits and water, and she did not train. As a medical ninja, she should know  better than to skip so many meals in a day but she had not really cared that much. This kind of pain was the easiest to deal compared to others she faced now.

Her glum was interrupted by the sound of shuffling down to their sits. 'Here,' a low voice said, and she saw a food tray thrust in front of her. She didn't have the energy to raise her eyes, mired in her own despair.

'We promised Kakashi that we'd make you eat.'

'So, he'd only talked to you guys to make me eat.' She snapped.

So that guy finds it acceptable to not talk to ANYBODY, but not for me?

When they didn't reply, she instantly felt guilty, and mumbled an apology. When she did look up, she did see Kurenai sitting beside her, looking anxious and eye-hollowed herself.

'Fine...' She murmured in defeat, taking up her metal chopsticks and then biting down a mouthful of rice mixed with vegetables. She felt oddly light, because the stirring feeling of her stomach had vanished when the food started flowing their nutrients through her veins.

Asuma pushed a cup of steaming green tea in front of her.

'I'm doing badly, aren't I?' She croaked, accepting the hot tea from him.

Them, to her surprise, said nothing for quite some time, their faces thoughtful. 'We understand.' Kurenai muttered.

'Loosing friends like them are very difficult.' Asuma said.

'However... seeing people you care about getting hurt like this is even more difficult.' Guy continued.

'So, eat up and regain your strength. It's not like you to act like this.' Genma finished.

Misaki regarded their words carefully, trying not to give in to the urge of spilling her guts about her inner feelings and darkness. It wasn't that she distrusted them, she didn't want to bother them with her troubles itself. But another voice told her that wasn't the case, rather that she didn't want to scare them, and lose their precious friendship all at once.

'Did you guys scripted this?' She grinned shakily instead.

'We tried.' Guy and Asuma laughed, slapping Misaki on the back, glad that a piece of her already returned. Deep down although, all of them had the maturity that was molded by the missions they undertook during the few years that they grew as full-fledged ninjas. That maturity told them that the sadness in their two friends will never dispel completely, even with time, however, there was one thing that would always remain as the truth. They would always be there for both of them, at every step, to share the pain and grief with them.

'And there's another good news.'

'Which is?' Kurenai asked Asuma.

'The Hidden Stone is requesting treaty.'

Misaki raised her eye-brow at that, not expecting something like this to happen so soon, especially with the Stone.

'Really?'

'But then...' Genma bit a dango of it's stick. 'How much faith can we put in a piece of paper?' Guy agreed, mirroring Genma's action.

'But thankfully, this long war will be over.' Asuma smiled, but Misaki only thought of how much stress the third will be facing.