Chapter 9

Misaki landed back on the ground which sounded like an earth-breaking explosion and squinted in the sudden blinding sunlight, immediately catching sight of Granny Shima and Fukasaku standing in front of them side by side.

'I think she's ready, Jiraiya, to go home.'

'You don't say.' Jiraiya remarked sarcastically, having difficulty breathing. Both of them were at it for several days already and this morning, Jiraiya was the first to admit defeat, collapsing to the ground with sweat reeking in his body odour. Only then Misaki was reminded of how tired she was as well, but she concealed it behind a frown that showed she was not bothered by it.

'She can go home now.' Fukasaku announced again, a faint sigh of irritation gurgling up when he snorted at his former student.

Misaki couldn't help but feel guilty at how relieved she felt.

'Great.' Jiraiya said grumpily, also border-line irritated as his head thumped on the hard ground so it could be shaded under a crescent-shaped leak.

'Can I have some sleep first though?'

'I'll pack.' Misaki turned around without much of a backward glance.

                                                   '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

The 'bang' of a summoning jutsu, or in this case a reverse summoning, sent birds flying off in alarm from what had been a calm grove of trees by the road. 

Nothing changed really during the absence of her presence. She could still see the massive stone walls that rose dozens of meters from the ground, framing a huge gate that sat wide open for them to enter. Once Jiraiya and her bid goodbye to Shima, the female toad formed a hand sign and vanished in a puff of smoke identical to the one that had brought them here.

"Morning!" Jiraiya shouted as loudly as possible while he forcefully slammed both of his hands down on the desk of guard house, waking up the two negligent shinobi.

"Wha- Master Jiraiya!" one of them said with a start. "Please forgive us sir! We, uh..."

"Forget it," replied Jiraiya. It wasn't as though he had never fallen asleep on guard duty himself.

"A-anyways, go right on in, Master Jiraiya and..." he turned questioningly to Misaki whom he didn't see since she was behind Jiraiya.

Frowns marred once Jiraiya swept her forward for registration. It was not like it was generated out of suspicion - rather envy that was spurned out of the gossip that floats around the shinobi task force.

Jiraiya nodded at their responses. There would usually be paperwork to fill out to take note of their arrival, but being one of the Legendary Sannin had its benefits. Knowing fully what they thought of Misaki, Jiraiya clasped her shoulder and ushered themselves in without a further word. Misaki wasn't dense at all, but that didn't meant that she was heartless completely - it meant that it was repeated so much that its blows had became less painful each time.

She surveyed the area with her long hair swishing like an annoying tail of a cat, seeking specific people through the opaque street houses with a ninja's sense of chakra. Asuma and Gai wasn't present within these walls so they were probably on missions, however two familiar ones could be sensed running towards hers with a rapid speed.

Kurenai, Kakashi.

'Misaki!' Kurenai shouted - bouncing her feet off the bricked-roof with Kakashi trailing behind. Both of them were obviously very pleased to see her after a weeks of absence. Rather, Kurenai looked a hundred times more excited than Kakashi, who looked relieved more than anything else. Everything else seemed faster than normal, perhaps the steady pace at Mount Myoboku had effects.