Chapter 8

'So, this is Mount Myoboku!' Jiraiya said, ushering his arm upwards towards the surroundings. Misaki let out a gruff as a response, and looked around. The sight was new to her. One significant thing was the air: it was much saltier and not exactly the clearest sky out there for it's brownish tint. There were frogs everywhere; resting and croaking, and instead of blue waters, mud-like water rushed down the streams that ran through this entire place. When Misaki looked closer at the liquids, she realized it was actually a form of oil.

'Yes, he is right.' Fukasaku agreed. He was a green toad with white hair styled in somewhat of a mohawk, also having very thick eyebrows and a small goatee.

'Shall we get started then?' He said, and Misaki shrugged, putting her bag aside. She then shuffled in front of Jiraiya, and even sent a short nod at Fuksaku as a sign of respect.

'Fukasaku will be watching over us while I train you, Misaki.' Jiraiya grinned, not looking at Fukasaku as he hopped higher to get a better view. The green toad then looked at her, as if unimpressed with what he saw.

Misaki raised her brow, apparently looking unaffected by the intense gaze and only focused on Jiraiya, who didn't sense the discomfort between both of them. 'Why is that?'

'Well...' Jiraiya's face went slightly red. 'He's afraid that I'll teach the wrong things and turn my student into a toad.' Misaki cracked a small smile but nodded otherwise.

'As you know, sage jutsu requires you to absorb nature energy, the energy that is external to us, and that exists in the atmosphere and the terrain.' Jiraiya started explaining as the lines on his wide forehead became more obvious, and his eyes narrowed at her.

'If one can collect the natural energy from around them and combine and balance it with the spiritual and physical energy that makes up their chakra, they are able to use senjutsu; thus becoming sages.' He physically motioned a circle in the air awkwardly as he elaborated. Jiraiya wasn't actually a teacher that will explain first before demonstrating. But since Misaki was an exceptional student, he assumed that she would like a brief run-through the theory.

'As opposed to ninjutsu where you utilize your own internal energy, sage jutsu involves taking in outside energy for your own use. As you're probably aware, ninjutsu utilizes chakra that is molds from one's mental and physical energy...'

She was a strange one.

Never in his life, that he'd meet someone like her who looked here, but not exactly here either, and that was saying a lot, because Fukasaku was at least five hundred years old. A new sight like hers brought interest and light back into his eyes. Based on what he saw, she was definitely paying some attention to what Jiraiya was saying, but her eyes shown some steel, and it hid whatever emotion she seemed to have inside which further intensified her curiosity about her. All the ones who were elected to learn senjutsu were excited, driven with determination to learn this skill that can ultimately change their career as a ninja. But instead, she looked slightly distant, hard and as if learning or not learning this new type of jutsu didn't really matter to her at all.

'It involves taking the internally generated chakra and adding nature energy from the outside, resulting in an even more powerful chakra; and that leads to all your ninjutsu, genjutsu, and even your taijutsu getting a real power boost. Mental and physical energy within oneself, and nature energy from the outside. Jutsu and techniques born from the chakra created by these three combined energies is what's known as sage jutsu.'

'So in conclusion...' Misaki said slowly. 'You must become one with nature. 

'You are correct!' Jiraiya grinned.

'In order to do that, you must start by absorbing nature energy, which is the ability to sense it around you and draw it into yourself. In addition, you also gain full control over the nature energy entering and leaving your body.'