Chapter 13

Misaki drifted. 

She slept, even though she knew in sleep she would dream deeply and her dreams haunted her. Nor did she wake, for in waking she would find reality that she was desperate to escape. She simply let her mind drift and her body rest. There was a madness upon her, she knew. Rather that madness was medically labelled as 'post-traumatic tress'. But that madness was welcome, and she let it claim her without a struggle, at least for a while. It mad her momentarily disoriented and distorted in her perception and thoughts. It cloaked her in a shred of non-being that kept everything walled away - and that was what she needed then.

Before she decided to wake up.

She sensed things - whispers of life from the world she was trying so hard to hid from.She felt the blankets that wrapped her and the bed on which she lay. She sat up slowly, fighting to overcome a sudden rush of dizziness. 

'Kakashi...' She said weakly.

He was laying opposite her, his body as still as a rock, but his face motionless and peaceful, away from the reality he himself was so terrified of. She judged his appearance with her sharingan, it seemed that he had took some sleeping pills. She decided not to wake him, perhaps she understood that even if she did, he probably could not yet respond. His body was free of any sort of bruising so further medical treatment would be unnecessary. The sleeping pills would aid his body to naturally rest and heal. Chakra supplements would not be needed.

She thought suddenly of Kurenai and Guy, a perfect distraction to her grey mood, how they suddenly appeared suddenly in the middle of the southern forests along with the company of two ANBU members. Their sudden arrival could never be coincidental. The southern forests are far in distance, even ANBUs would need at least two days to travel to where they were using top speeds. Had Minato secretly put them in this mission without her and Kakashi's knowledge? 

The possibility enraged Misaki, before she realized she wasn't even in the position to be mad at her sensei. Both Kakashi and her were unstable these days with their mission success rates, most of them passed barely, wheres last time, all of them topped the charts in reports flawlessly without the slightest bit of error. His actions suddenly made sense.

She guessed so, if she was the Hokage, she would have done the same.

                                               ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Kurenai and Guy stood side-by-side next to each other, careful to explain the details of the earlier mission as clearly and concise as possible. Their faces shown distraught and even the slightest hint of guilt as they described Kakashi and Misaki's condition during that mission. It was obvious that following their very own comrades without them knowing disturbed them deeply, but both of them knew as well, orders were orders and ninjas lived to obey their leaders to the best of their abilities. They ended their report with a creased frown.

'I've never seen Kakashi like that.'

'Same goes for Misaki.'

Minato's body hunched and he lifted himself again with his left arm. Minato was disgusted with himself for purposely placing Kakashi and Misaki on this mission, but it had proved something. 

Both of them are unfit to carry on normal missions now.

Ever since Rin and Obito's passing, something changed inside the both of them, which also side-tracked their performance on the job. They won't ever live and see life the same anymore, and lax missions will only allow their minds to dwell on their comrades' death further. They needed something intense to bring them back into pace, to give them another purpose to live for...