Chapter 10

Misaki and Kakashi sat together in the shadows of her home and watched their headbands reflecting the light coming from her large window that was the source of light. The early morning had been cool, usual for spring days here. Scattered clouds masked the sky, drifting aimlessly to greet the awakening dawn. A hush filled the emptiness left by their hearts like a voice waiting to speak.

It was a hush that whispered to move on, Misaki thought.

'Let's go.' Misaki suggested kindly, grabbing her headband by the wrist. She couldn't stand looking at something or someone for too long, otherwise she'd start having uncomfortable thoughts. So, Kakashi did the same without a word. Her eyes glittered as she looked at a long rectangle mirror sitting behind the couch, placing the cold metal plate on her forehead, tying it with a knot to end it, adjusting her side bangs so it fitted her frame perfectly. Kakashi roughed his hair and did the same, looking as apathetic as he always did.

They looked outside for a moment, and turned away, melting into the surroundings before they transported themselves in front of the Hokage Mansion, where a handful of top-notch jounin shinobi stood chatting among themselves. The Shika-Ino-Cho trio could be spotted, and even Fugaku was there with his usual stern demenour clouding his blunt features. However, he did acknowledge Misaki, and even nodded at her, so she returned the same out of respect, even if she had rather awkward encounters with the Uchiha Clan almost every time.

'Misaki! Kakashi!' Kushina yelled from a distance louder than Misaki would have accepted. She grinned, in spite of herself, and waved back at the sisterly figure, nudging Kakashi by the elbow to do the same. Kakashi grumbled, shoving her back playfully. Kushina slowed down her steps, taking a deep breath, composing herself straighter in front of the other jounins.

'It is time.' As if her words were the cue, everybody nodded and disappeared from the grounds, shooting up to the roof of the red mansion like racing stars. Misaki clenched her fists lightly as she landed on the beige ground with a thud that corresponded with the rest, like a orchestra in constant harmony.

The sun was completely up, it was time.

                                                  ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

By mid-morning, the crowd has gathered in front of the gates, tilting their heads towards the roof with anticipation and curiosity, with people of all ages, villagers and children that stood scattered in clicks whereas the shinobi stood in lines of fives according to ranks, their hands tightly fitted to their hips. Misaki could sense Gai and the rest of her comrades down there; filled with happiness and even innocent impatience as the ceremony had began.

Three short elders wrapped in heavy cloaks walked towards Minato, one being the Saindaime, and the two others are the Konoha Council, consisting of Koharu and Komoru, still looking as grim as they are always even on a supposing joyous day. She pressed her arms by her side, keeping her eyes peeled on Hiruzen's expression as he handed the red customary hat to Minato; along with the lives and responsibilities of the village. It was only that time, Misaki couldn't predict how Hiruzen felt. Was it relief? Was it pride? Or was it sadness?

The Yellow Flash accepted it willingly; and placed it on his forehead, his ever-so blue eyes gleaming with mixed emotions flashing through his eyes at that split moment before he lifted his head to his elders, to his comrades, to his wife, to his students. He will not let them down.

'I'm counting on you, Fourth Hokage.' Hiruzen said, the words 'Hokage' sounding strange to his mouth because he was still accustomed to calling him by his name. 

We'll all be counting on you, sensei.

'I'll dedicate my life to it.' Minato swore like an oath he will never break. Minato turned his back, walking his way to the edge of the roof, feeling the tenderness of the hat that will be his until he pass it down to the next Hokage. He halted, and waved to the people and the shinobi below, barely concealing his pride and promises he will keep to them.

Misaki felt her heart warmed for the first time in months.

I know you will, sensei.

Because there will be no Hokage who will love, and protect this village more than you will.