Chapter One

My first day outside the barb wired fences, I get immediately offloaded at JFK airport, where I would be shipped off to my grandparents place. The nonstop flight from New York to San Francisco was intended to be just under seven hours long. Mine ended up being closer to nine. Don't cha love delays?

I spent the entirety of the flight flicking through my old sketchbook and watching The Flash. I should have thrown the sketchbook out as soon as I got it back, but I didn't have the heart to. After I had stuffed it into my duffel bag, I enlighten myself with Barry Allen. In Juvy, they would only really let us watch The Flash because it encouraged good behavior or whatever - the truth is, I only ever admired Captain Cold and Cisco.

Once I arrive to San Francisco, I am picked up from the airport by my grandfather, who stands in front of me with his 5'10 height, wearing grey linen trousers that are pulled up to his belly button, with a tucked in blue and red checkered button.

"Evangeline" he greets with a forced smile and an immense amount of pity in his eyes.

I barely acknowledge his existence and just push past him. Taken back, he recovers fast, before walking beside me out of the airport. We arrive to the grey SUV, which he unlocked with the programmed key-ring. I slid into the backseat with my duffel bag in one hand and my backpack in the other.

I spend the entirety of the car ride glaring out the dirt-stained windows with my earphones plugged into my ears. I admire the suburbs, where there are no stoned kids screaming down the street or any homeless men begging at the corner grocery stores.

It seems to be such a safe part of town, I sure as hell ain't used to any of it.

I belonged in the Bronx. Everybody was just like me there. I'm gonna stick out like a sore thumb here. I'll be called strange amongst other things.

"No! I won't let you push me away"

"Forget me"

"Keep your head down Angel"

"Put the gun away"

I shake off the memories before taking fast deep breaths, but shut my eyes tightly, as an attempt to calm myself down.

The car suddenly pulls up in the driveway. I unplug my earphones before walking up the front porch steps, with my grandfather behind me.

He pushes open the front door after removing the key from the door slot.

"We're home" my grandfather announces.

I search the house to find every inch neat and tidy. The whole place smells like freshly baked cookies and lavender - something I'm far from used to. After all, my last home was a prison cell.

"Oh I was just making tea" my grandmother enters the room with a smile from ear to ear, "its lovely seeing you again Evangeline"

She locks her deep blue eyes on me, wiping her hands on a cloth. Her grey wavy hair sits on her narrow shoulders while she wears pale blue knee length jeans with a floral button-up shirt.

"Your room is down the hall to the left," my grandfather informed me. I nodded slowly as walking down the hallway with bags close to my body. "She didn't say a word the entire ride" he told my grandmother.

I walk through the house slowly, admiring everything from the eggshell white walls to the picture frames sitting on the vintage table. I haven't been in this house since I was a kid, it feels like another lifetime ago.

Once I arrive to the guest bedroom, I drop my luggage on to the carpet. This must have been my mother's old room, everything is just as she left it.

I walk to the edge of the queen side bed, before flopping back to the center.

I look up at the white ceiling and hold my breath.

"Evangeline Sanders you have pleaded guilty to grand theft auto and assault charges...seeing as you did not benefit from counselling last time...I have no choice but to sentence you to twenty-nine months in a New York Juvenile Detention centre and thirty-one days in the state penitentiary...upon your release, you will be placed in the custody of relatives permanently"

I shake off the memory.

Three years ago, I was told to participate in six months of counselling in order to avoid jail time after being arrested for grand larceny. I spent every session staring at the wall and didn't say a word.

The judge wasn't so easy on me last time seeing as I went further and assaulted a cop and stole a car. Maybe I should have complied with their demands the first time, if I had than maybe I wouldn't be stuck here, away from my father.

Suddenly there is a knock on my bedroom door. I shoot my body up to find my grandmother standing under the door frame with a small smile.

"Christmas break ended yesterday," she said softly from the door, "you can take tomorrow off to settle in but the social workers told us that you must be at school Thursday"

I looked down and nodded, signalling her to walk away from the room.

God, I haven't been to an actual high school in ages. I dropped out when I was fifteen, but after I got arrested the judge ordered me to go back so I could go to college, despite the fact that I have no interest in college.

I did participate in schooling while I was in Juvy, it wasn't as bad as it sounds. All we really did was read old books, do some simple math and paint on recycled paper. I don't know about Californian schools, back in New York my friend Sage told me that the people are all stuck-up in Cali. I don't care whether they are or aren't - I doubt anyone will notice me anyway.

----------------------------------------

Hi all,

Auto grand theft/grand theft auto is the act of stealing or attempting to steal a motor vehicle. She did not steal a video game :)

Thank you

Happy reading!