Chapter Nine

A/N

IMPORTANT

This chapter depicts an Alzheimer's episode that is caused by "sun downing". This episode was inspired by true events and can be common for those with this illness.

Ignorant, disrespectful comments and slurs will NOT be tolerated.
——————————

I sit around the small kitchen table eating my meatloaf beside my grandparents. I'm getting used to their routine, after all, it's not that difficult to follow. Wake up at six, go to school at eight o'clock, come home, do homeroom, eat dinner at six. Weekends are the same, only instead of school, I get to watch Netflix during the day. Today is Sunday so I entertained myself by watching the Flash.

"How was your day, dear?" my grandma asks.

I smile, "well, I was catching up on the Flash, my friend Ned called and said that there's another party coming up soon...we were supposed to go to the Thompson party Friday but that was cancelled cause the guy's parents came home early" I explain.

Which Blake and Chris are annoyed about because it means they're not getting their thirty bucks. Jenny, on the other hand, is overjoyed by the news.

My grandpa smirks "good to know"

I drop my knife and fork onto the plate when I've finished eating before making my way to my bedroom. After binging the Flash till Eleven pm, I flick the cap off of my tube of sleeping pills. Placing two on my tongue, along with my SSRI pill. After swallowing I'm ready for bed.

I shut my eyes after slipping under the covers. After five minutes or so of trying to fall asleep, I feel my arms being squeezed with a force. I shoot my eyes open to find my arms in my grandmother's grasp.

"What are you-" I begin to ask as attempting to sit myself up.

My grandmother holds me down as digging her sharp nails through my wrists. "Who are you?" She screams at the top of her lungs, "what are you doing in my daughter's room?"

"Grandma it's me Evangeline" I explain as trying to move my hands away from the room but ultimately fail to do so.

I look into my grandma's eyes. I am no longer able to recognize her, all I see is a bitter, angry old woman.

"What have you done with my daughter?" She squeezes my wrist tighter. "You parasite!"

"Grandma I don't want to hurt you" I warn as my heart rate increases.

Her nails pierce my skin creating a stinging sensation. I take a deep breath as kicking my feet, attempting to wiggle my way free.

"Angel!" A male voice cried from the distance.

I spat out the blood from my mouth before headbutting the girl on top of me in the face.

"Ahh," the latina girl hissed in pain as I rolled her off me, on to the pavement.

"Jeffrey! Angel! C'mon hurry up" Sage screamed from the distance as he helped me up.

The three of us ran out of the alleyway, with the girl laying on the pavement with a bleeding nose.

"Where's my daughter!" my grandma repeats.

"Get away from me!" I yell, pushing my entire body up, pushing my grandma off me.

My grandmother falls back on to my bedroom floor, hitting her head on my desk. My eyes widen as my bedroom lights suddenly turn on.

"Evangeline!" A voice cries from the door.

I look up to see my grandfather with haunted eyes. I pushed my elderly grandmother. Jesus, what have I done?

"She attacked me" I explain as jumping out of bed. Dizziness overcomes me due to the sleeping I had taken earlier, "there wasn't much I could do"

"Stella" my grandfather helps his wife up before he guides her out of my room slowly.

I look down at my wrist where I find my grandmothers nail imprints, and blood oozing out. I sigh as walking to my ensuite. I turn on the light where I pick up a piece of toilet paper, to clean up the blood that was quickly running down my arms. My wrists look as though they have been sliced.

She attacked me. I had to push her. I didn't have a choice. Surely my grandfather can see that.

I find bandages and dressing in the mirror cabinet, above the sink.

God, what is school gonna be like tomorrow? I'll have to wear long sleeves so nobody sees. There are enough rumours about me as it is.

***

The next morning I put on my red cable knit sweater and ripped black skinny jeans. I tied my hair up in a high ponytail and applied my usual makeup.

I walk through the house where I find my grandmother sipping tea at the kitchen table.

"Good morning sweetheart" she smiles sweetly as if nothing had happened.

"Morning" I furrowed my brows as taking a step towards her.

"Did you have a good night sleep?" She asks.

My mind flashes back to last night, when my grandmother attacked me, resulting in me pushing her.

I blink "You don't remember?"

"Remember what?" She asks as placing her tea onto the kitchen table.

She could have gotten seriously hurt, I'm glad she's okay and has no memory of it.

"You came into my room last night" I start as looking into the eyes of my sweet old grandmother. "...And made me some hot cocoa"

She's not a horrible person. She hurt me because of the disease. It wasn't her fault.

"Oh did I?" My grandma nods "did you like it?"

"Very much" I assure with a forced smile, "I'm gonna go to school"

"Have fun dear"

I slowly walk through the room where I find my grandfather hidden behind the kitchen wall. "Thank you" he nods.

"Did I hurt her?" I question "what am I saying? Of course, I did...what I mean to ask is, is she in any kinda pain because of me?"

She seems okay, but I know better than anyone that things aren't always as they seem.

"Her head was throbbing for a little while last night," my grandpa tells me, "but she's fine now"

I nod slowly before walking out of the house. I release a deep breath. I'm not good for these people. My grandma hurt me because of her disease, I have no excuse. I'm afraid of what else I may do to her. What if something like this happens again, only she gets seriously hurt? I could never forgive myself.

-------------------------------

A/N

Hi all,

So we got to see a Bronx flashback where Eva fought someone in an alleyway while her friend and boyfriend tried to break it out.

The first time around, I really regretted not having Bronx flashbacks so I fully intend on adding more this time.

So did you think Evangeline did the right thing with her grandma? If not, how do you think she should have handled the situation?

Please Vote if you're enjoying this book.

Thank you

Happy reading!