Chapter Three

A/N

Hi all,

Above is a documentary about selective mutism that I strongly suggest checking out.

Thank you

Happy reading!

------------------------------------

I walk out of the principal's office unamused once the bell goes, signalling first period.

"Hey" a voice greets. I look to my side to see the same guy who was talking to me, before homeroom. "I saw what you did in there" he informs me as running his fingers through his thick chocolate brown hair.

Oh crap, he saw what I did, meaning he's in my homeroom. Well, that's just embarrassing.

"Blake, what did I say about being annoying?" A girl with long wavy red hair cries as approaching us, the same one who asked the teacher if I was mute in homeroom, "Did you take a vow of silence or something?" she asks me.

I began taking mental notes.

The guy from this morning is named Blake and he and his friend are both in my homeroom.

"You're a nun?" Blake widens his eyes in surprise.

"Don't be an idiot" the girl rolls her bright green eyes at Blake, "hi I'm Jenny" she introduces herself to me she waves her pale hand.

Okay, so Blake and Jenny. That should be simple enough to remember.

"She's Evangeline" Blake informs Jenny with a grin before reverting his gaze to me, "I'm not a stalker or anything...Mrs Jenkins said it in homeroom"

I nod hesitantly. Right, he's a weird one.

"Smooth" Jenny rolls her eyes again.

"Mr Johnson has already given me detention" a blond guy announces as approaching us. He directs his green eyes at me for half a second before reverting his gaze to Jenny. "Who's your new friend?" he asks her.

I examine his letterman jacket carefully. The name Ned Carter is written in bold.

Okay so Blake is the brunette, Jenny his the redhead and Ned is the blond. Simple enough.

"Ned this is Evangeline" Jenny's told him before looking in the distance. "Hey, Marcus" she calls out to someone. "Evangeline this is Christopher Marcus" Jenny introduces as a guy with hazel brown hair approaches us.

How come he gets introduced with a first and last name?

Christopher Marcus looks at me and blinks, only briefly allowing me to see his grey eyes. He wears a letterman jacket just like Ned and Blake. Okay so, the guy's are athletes. I wonder what sport they play, football? basketball? Lacrosse?

"Who's that?" Chris cocks a brow to Jenny.

"Evangeline is new," Blake tells Chris before raising his brows, "she's in our homeroom remember?"

Hold up, he's also in my homeroom too? Okay so, Blake, Chris, and Jenny are in my homeroom. Blake is the one with the dark hair, Chris had hazel brown hair, and Ned is the blond one. Okay, I think I've got this.

"She looks kinda familiar," Ned tells Chris. "doesn't she look kinda familiar?"

I'm standing right here. I hate that. I hate people who talk about me like I'm not standing right in front of them.

"So what class do you have now?" Blake asks me.

Good question.

"I'm in Chem," Jenny says.

"So am I" Ned nods.

"Same here," Blake tells her.

"What about you Marcus?" Jenny asks Chris.

He scratches the back of his neck. "Bio," he tells her.

I look down at my schedule to find that first period on a Thursday I have Biology with Mr Daniels.

"With who?" Jenny questions.

"Mr Daniels," he tells her.

God, I'm in the same bio class as this dude.

"Good luck" Ned sniggers.

"Thanks, I'll need it," He says.

Why? Is he evil? God am I gonna be sent to the principal's office again? How screwed am I exactly? These are the questions that I wanna ask them. My mouth opens but nothing comes out. God, I haven't spoken for so long. I've been known to stop speaking in a lot of situations, it seems that when you stop, it's hard to start again.

"See you guys" Jenny waves.

"Bye Evangeline" Blake smiles sweetly as he, Jenny, and Ned walk in the opposite direction.

Chris and I walk beside each other down the hallway in silence. It only takes a moment for him to acknowledge my existence. "Are you following me?" He narrows his eyes.

I roll my eyes. "Yeah, you caught me, instead of going to class I decided to follow you, fuck dude, did it ever occur to you that we just have class together? Or do always jump to conclusions" I snap.

Chris furrows his brows at me with a half smile, "what?"

My eyes widen in disbelief, "did I just say that out loud?"

"Yeah you did" he smirks as we enter out biology room, "its nice to know you can speak"

That's the thing about selective mutism. You don't realise when its on or off. I can be silent for a month one second than a chatterbox the next.

***

"No homework tonight, just get your permission slips signed" Mr Daniels cries as the entire class begins to walk out of the classroom. "I need them back by Monday"

"That wasn't so bad was it?" Chris cocks a brow from beside me.

I roll my eyes before looking at the people in the distance. There were girls in tight mini skirts and heels. This is far from what I'm used to. The only time in the last thirty months I ever saw modern fashion was on visitation day and through The Flash re-runs.

"Do girls usually dress like prostitutes here?" I ask.

In prison, we all wore simple clothing. I guess I forgot what it's like being around regular people.

"More often than you'd think" Chris laughs as one of the girls in short skirts approaches us.

She flicks her long brown hair over her shoulders as raising one of her perfect brows. She licks her large glossy red lips as narrowing her blue eyes towards us.

"Would you look at that" I start "one is heading this way"

She then wraps one of her caramel toned arms around Chris, "Hey baby" she greets him in a high pitch voice before kissing him passionately.

Wow okay. One of the girls that I called a prostitute is Chris's girlfriend. I look at her and all her perfection and wonder how long this chick would survive in prison?

I walk away from the pair and begin walking to my next class. Chris was interesting. I don't usually speak to people that I just met, but I spoke to him without hesitation, I wonder why?