Chapter Forty-Six

One week later.

"Where are you?" I question with my cell phone pressed against my ear as I stand in the hallway, "the ceremony is about to start?"

"Turn around," Sam says in an amused tone.

I roll my eyes as turning around. I see the man standing in the distance, slowly walking towards me, wearing the same blue robe as me, and the rest of the seniors.

"You're insane you know that" I half smile as he stands only a few feet in front of me as we both stuff our cell phones in our back pockets.

Sam grins "Yeah I know"

How did we get here? How did Sam and I end up in San Francisco, graduating from high school?

It's hard to believe that there was once a time where neither of had any intention of graduating high school. We both thought that we would end up dead or in prison.

"We made it" I smile.

"We both got the lives that we deserve" he looks at me with joy.

"...everything that we have ever wanted" I added.

That was the strange thing with us. We wanted to be normal so bad but neither one of us could quit our habits. Sam and I spent countless night fantasising about our perfect future - it looks like our dreams have finally come true. 

"You found someone who can overlook your past"

"And you're no longer a dick" I smile "...okay that's not completely true"

"Shut up" Sam chuckles "seriously though...I'm glad you're finally happy"

I look into his eyes and that's when I know that he was being genuine. That's the Sam that I fell in love with.

"Thank you" I nod. "...thank you for everything"

Sam looks in the distance where Chris stands.

Sam reverts his gaze back to me and nods "maybe in another life, you would be here with me" he half-smiles. "See you out there,"

With that Sam leaves my sight, just as Chris approaches me.

"What was that about?" Chris questions with a smile.

"I think Sam just gave us his blessing" I smile.

"Oh really?" He raises a brow.

"Yeah really" I smile as Chris kisses my lips.

Chris wraps his arms around my waist, making me flinch "what? Still tender?" He asks about my stab wounds that are only a week old.

This is my first big outing since the kidnapping. It's hard going back to how things were. I guess that I just have to pretend it never happened.

I'm just worried that Chris is biting off more than can chew with me. He's not used to my screwed up life.

"I'm fine" I nod "are you really okay with all this?"

"Eva I will love you in sickness and in health" Chris assures 

"You better not be proposing" I laugh. "Seriously though-"

"Seriously, I will love you no matter what"

I don't know if I can believe that. I always give someone an excuse to leave me.

"So you don't care about the fact that I nearly killed a cop and spent two years in Juvy and a month in actual prison?" I ask.

He shook his head "No...I don't"

"What about them?" I gesture to my friends who sat outside.

Surely they're afraid of my past. I wouldn't blame them if they looked at me differently - that's why I didn't want to tell them in the first place.

"We all love you" Chris assures, "you don't need to be afraid anymore... We will never leave you"

Those five words were all that I needed. All my life people have left and as a result, I ended up leaving people that I cared about before they could leave me.

"Thanks" I smile.

"We better get out there if we want to graduate" he grins.

"Yeah you're right" I nod as we walk down that hallway "is Raff here?"

"Yeah dad's here" Chris assures.

Dad? It wasn't that long ago when Chris wanted nothing to do with he's estranged faster.

"Dad?" I cock a brow as we exit the building and walk towards the venue.

"Its new" he explains "please don't make too much out of it"

I curve the corners of my lips "I think it's cute"

"Eva!" Jenny cries as jumping out of her seat and wrapping her arms around me.

"Ahhh" I hiss.

"Oh I'm sorry" she cries as pulling away.

"Everybody takes their seats" the female announcer starts "the ceremony is about to begin"

I slowly take a seat with all my friends.

"The announcer is kinda a cute don't ya think" I hear Ned whisper to Blake.

"Low key" Blake hesitantly agrees "I guess"

"Sam?" Ned cock's a brow.

"I'm not into cougars," Sam says simply causing me to smirk.

"Shhh" Jenny hisses.

I listen to the valedictorian's speech, I watch as the announcer calls their names, one by one, shake the principal's hand, and accept their high school diploma.

This time last year I thought that I would never graduate, fall in love, or be happy ever again.

How things change.

"Evangeline Sanders," the announcer says causing me to stand up, slowly walk up the steps, shake the principal's hand, take my diploma, and stand with my classmates.

I see Raff sitting in the distance beside my aunt and brother. A smile spreads across my face.

I made it.

"Please put your hands together for the class of 2017" the announcer cries into the mic as we all throw our hats in the air.

—————————————

Hi all,

So the next chapter will be set on the first day of college (so I'll be skipping summer vacation)

Please vote

Happy reading!