Chapter Twenty-Nine

My cell phone begins buzzing while I sit on my bed. I furrow my brows at the name that popped up before pressing my cell phone against my ear.

"Hello" I greet, glancing at the wall in the distance.

"So its lunch time and nobody else had the balls to call you to ask where the fuck you are" Ned starts.

"Right" I struggle to chuckle or even speak due to the pain. "I'm not coming to school for a while"

"How come?" He asks concerned.

I haven't spoken to any of my friends since the accident. So they have no idea what's happened.

"There's been an accident" I admit.

"Accident?" he questions curiously.

"I was in a motorcycle accident Friday night" I explain simply.

I don't know, I guess I don't feel the need to tell people. What's the difference if they know or not? I don't want their sympathy so it shouldn't make a difference if they know.

"Holy shit are you okay?" his voice instantly increases in volume.

And that's exactly why I had no intention of telling anyone.

"I'll be fine," I tell him.

"Are you injured?" He asks.

I mean, I guess a little...

"Yeah, I've got a concussion... And a spilt eye... And broken fingers, sprained ankle, sprained wrist, fractured ribs, road rash"

"Jesus Christ" he cusses.

"I'm on a lot of painkillers" I nod slowly.

"Do you need us to come over and cheer you up?" He offers.

Ned is beyond sweet. What did I do to deserve such a good friend? But no I'll be just fine.

"I'll be fine honestly" I smile "how are the others?"

I doubt they've noticed I've been gone, to be honest. Jenny was yelling at me last time I spoke to her, and Chris...Well, that's complicated.

"Jenny was mad at you but we have explained that nothing happened between you and Chris" he starts "Chris is still hung up on you and Blake is still recovering from your rejection, oh and I'm banging Jessica Lewis"

"Are you at the cafeteria now?" I raise a brow cautiously.

"Yep! The gang is sitting right beside me" he cheers "they're all shooting me dirty looks"

I felt like laughing but I hold back. God, I love Ned.

"Yeah, I bet" I smile.

"Gee its gonna be awkward as hell when this call ends"

Indeed it will. I wish him luck, I wouldn't want to face them at the phone call ends. They'll probably attack him like a pack of wild dogs.

"See ya Ned" I chuckle.

"Take care" he ends the call.

Ned can be annoying at times, but god he knows exactly what to say.

I lift my laptop that sat on my lap. I scroll through the variety of websites. I finally pick one where a photograph of a newspaper article pops up.

'Heroic local Doctor saves the lives of two children in a freak accident'

The newspaper was from Boston, Massachusetts. That's over three thousand miles from here.

Doctor Rafferty Marcus couldn't be related to Blake and Chris. I mean it says here that seven years ago he was living in Boston.