Chapter Two

Thirty months I had spent caged up like a bird in Juvy. So, its safe to say that I wasn't used to eating, showering, or using the restroom without being told when and for how long.

If anything, I felt more at home when my grandmother said, "Evangeline its time for school" my grandmother calls from the hallway "Come on sweetheart"

"You don't want to be late on your first day" my grandfather adds.

I shoot open my eyes to find myself under the covers of the queen size bed. Crap, I forgot that I still go school. It's been over three years since I've attended one.

I jump out of bed as rubbing my blurry eyes with my fingertips. I pull out my duffle bag from under my bed where I rummage through my things before settling on high-waisted torn jeans, a white crop top, green combat jacket, and combat boots. I brush through my long straight chocolate brown hair as walking to the bathroom.

For my deep set eyes, I apply concealer to create a natural smokey eye look using my makeup from 2014. Yeah, I should really go to the drug store and buy some more.

I walk out of my room to find my grandmother sipping tea at the kitchen table. I furrow my brows at the woman. How am I getting to school? They must be dropping me off cause: A. I don't have my drivers license and even if I did they wouldn't let me drive their car cause of the grand theft auto chargers and B. I cannot walk cause I got no clue where I'm going.

These are all the things that I wanted to say to the woman in front of me but physically couldn't.

"Your grandfather is waiting for you in the car, dear" she warmly smiles.

What is with these people and pet names? I guess I'm used to my life in the Bronx. Being raised by my father in a dangerous environment. God, I wonder what he's doing right now? It's been thirty months since I've seen him, the longest I've ever gone without him.

I exit the house with my backpack in my hand before I hop into the passenger seat of the SUV. My grandfather begins reversing from the driveway as I avert my gaze to the passenger side window.

"Pay close attention to the route we take Evangeline, I won't be able to drive you to school every day, you'll need to get used to walking" my grandfather orders as he drives down the street.

Right. I swear to God if it's a long walk, I'm gonna be hitchhiking.

After ten minutes or so of pure silence the car stops, I look up to find a huge sign on the building that says Riverside high. A part of me can't wait to get away from the stranger sitting beside me, but another part doesn't want to face what's on the side of those walls.

I take my backpack and jump out of the car. "I'll pick you from this spot, okay?" he says, I respond with a small nod. "okay, have a good day," with that I shut the car door, allowing my grandfather to drive off.

I sigh as walking through the double doors. January fourth 2017 is today date, I just have to survive here till June. I walk through the crowded hallways till I find my way to the student office, there the woman behind the desk immediately smiles in my direction.

"Evangeline Sanders?" the woman with short blond hair raises one of her brows. I respond with a small nod before she gives me a piece of paper and a combination lock. "Great, I've been waiting for you to stop by, here is your schedule, your locker combination is 42683 and you have locker 1883, you have homeroom down the hall, then you have Biology in the science wing which is on the right side of the school, gym is by the back, Visual Art and languages are upstairs, English and Math are to the left, computer room is to the front, any questions?"

I blink in confusion. I understood none of that. Instead of asking questions, I just shake my head. I haven't spoken a word in a month, but I didn't speak often before then as I've been diagnosed with Selective Mutism, a disorder which someone can't speak depending on the situation.

I leave the office as I hear the bell ring. Quickly, I locate my locker where I drop off my bag, carrying only a pencil case and two exercise books.

"Hey, do you need some help?" a voice asks from beside me.

I turn to see a tall bright-smiled guy that stood at approx 6'2. I furrowed my brows at the boy before slowly shaking my head.

In Juvy, it was all: walk around with your head down, don't make eye contact with anyone, don't speak to anyone but staff, yet at the same time attempt to make allies.

Entering homeroom as the new kid is terrifying. I mean, how do you know which seats are taken? Suddenly The female homeroom teacher points to an empty seat in the center of the classroom. I take a seat as she clears her throat.

"I see that we have a new student" she starts as smiling in front of the entire class. "Stand up Evangeline...and tell us about yourself"

My face flushes pink as my eyes widen. I stand up hesitantly before narrowing my eyes at the teacher. I'm wasn't nervous, or stage fright, I just haven't spoken in over a month. I'm willing to stand up, attend this stupid school, and do the work, but they can not make me socialize.

"What's the matter cat got your tongue?" A girl in the front row laughs.

God, so much for keeping my head down.

"so, what school did you transfer from?" The teacher smiles warmly.

Didn't the school get my details? I transferred from god damn prison. My heart rate increases slightly as every student in the room starts either laughing or whispering. I'm the center of attention, it's my first day and I'm already standing out from everybody else.

I'm surprise that this is what set me apart from the rest of the people here. I thought that it would be my appearance, after all, I do look rough compared to the clean-cut kids here. With my piercings, tattoos, and my visible scars.

"Is she mute?" the girl seated in front of me asks the teacher.

I actually am. It's in my file, this teacher should be aware.

"Nah I think she's just retarded" the guy next to her laughs.

"Well, Evangeline?" The teacher folds her caramel tones arms.

"Miss I think she's baked" another guy cries.

"Do not ignore me" the teacher raises a brow in frustration.

Bitch, I ain't ignoring you, I just don't talk. Which I guess can be seen as ignoring. Maybe if I smile? No, don't smile you'll look creepy. Maybe if I get a zipper tattooed on my lips, they'll get the picture? God, I am not having a good day. I wonder if any of my other classes will be any better? Well if they're all like this teacher then I'm in trouble.

"Give up already Miss Jenkins" a girl begs.

Miss Jenkins shakes her head. "Evangeline please report to the principal's office" the woman orders.

I sigh as picking up my stuff from the desk. Of course, I get sent to the principal's office on the first day.

----------------------------------

Hey guys,

So Selective Mutism (SM) is a real disorder that affects 0.8% of the population at some point in their lives.

SM is a condition where children (or adults) cannot speak or communicate in certain settings.

The exact cause is different for every child (and is generally unknown). It usually develops in childhood. Parents/Caregivers are often unaware that the child has SM since they function well (speak/communicate) at home.

SM can last beyond childhood and may cause other problems without treatment.

Keep in mind that this condition affects everyone differently - so your own experience or the experience of someone you know may be similar or completely different to the character in this story.

Thank you