Chapter Forty-Three

I feel for the light switch as I climb down the steps. Once I locate it, I flick it on using my fingertips, causing the room to be consumed with light.

I look ahead to find her hanging from a beam, with a noose around her neck. She was dead.

"Ahhhh!"

"Ahhhh!" I scream at the top of my lungs.

"Eva" he cries as I jump up.

"What happened?" I question, searching my surroundings with my eyes fearfully.

"You had a nightmare" Chris informs as laying beside me. "Are you okay?" he pulls me into a hug.

I'm safe. I'm in Chris's home, safe and sound.

I lay my head on to his chest. "I'm fine" I sigh, looking up at Chris, "I'm sorry for waking you"

My PTSD is a burden on my life, I don't want it to be a burden for Chris or anyone else too.

"Don't be sorry" he begs. "I want every part of you"

"Even the bad stuff?" I soften my gaze.

"Even the bad stuff" Chris nods, kissing my lips. "...Proms tonight, you know"

"Yeah I know" I half smile "so you better drop me off home before noon"

"I don't know...I kinda like laying here...we could stay like this the entire day" Chris admits.

I wish. We've both got a lot of shit to do today.

"Ha ha," I say without humour.

"I love you, Eva"

I furrow my brows as my heart rate increases. He what? He.....loves....me? Oh fuck.

We're not even official yet.

How can he possibly love me?

I'm a burden on my own family.

I scream in the middle of the night from my nightmares like a child afraid of the dark.

I'm mentally ill.

I can't go in basements without seeing my dead sister.

I have no parents.

I have bursts of anger that almost always result in someone getting hurt.

I've been in jail.

I've assaulted a cop.

I've been addicted to drugs and alcohol.

The thoughts in my head are dark and twisted.

How can he possibly love me?

"I'm gonna go make us some coffee," I say, jumping out of the bed.

I quickly grab my clothes from the floor, before getting dress and exiting the room.

He what? How could he? We haven't even talked about being official yet, and he LOVES me.

I am not equipped for this.

How can he love me?

He doesn't even know me.

I am unlovable.

I'm damaged goods.

How can anyone possibly love someone who is so God damn broken?

His life will be a struggle if he stays with me.

Chris will end up resenting me for making his and his daughter's life so difficult, and I won't be able to disagree.

I'm saving both of us the struggle and leaving him now.