Chapter Fifty-Four

My cell phone begins to ring as I shoot open my heavy eyes. I find Sam laying beside me. Peacefully sleeping. I smile before wrapping a blanket around my naked body.

I pick up my cell phone before sneaking off to the bathroom.

"Hello?" I whisper.

"Hello, Angel" A familiar voice greets.

I know that voice too well. I still hear it sometimes when I least expect it but no this time is real. He's really calling me, I'm not imaging it, this is for real.

"Jake?" My eyes widen.

"You remember me" he sounds amused.

"How could I forget?" I clench my jaw. "What do you want?"

How is he calling me? We have a restraining order in place and he's in prison.

"Nothing really, I just thought that you should know that I have your boyfriend"

"Wh-what what are you talking about? you're in prison" I cry.

"Actually that's not exactly true"

Time stops immediately.

He can take me away from my friends and family, he can destroy my life, but he cannot, under any circumstance take Cleo's father away from her.

"What have you done with him?" My voice shakes.

I swear if he touches one hair on his head, I'll kill Jake myself.

"Nothing really...he's just sitting right in front of me-" Jake admits.

"Don't you hurt him" I order.

"Sorry its a little too late for that" he informs "he's dehydrated... Starved...bruised, he can't walk-"

I feel my eyes begin to water.

Why? Why him?

I get it, my dad tried to get me back hence the kidnapping, but I don't understand why Jake is choosing to take Chris.

"Why are you doing this?" I begin to panic.

"For revenge! Why else?"

"Jake!" I say too loud.

"This is what you're going to do my fallen Angel" he starts as I stand in front of the mirror "you're going to meet me in the old neighbourhood...in the abandoned house by that pizza place that you like...come alone...no police"

How the fuck did he manage to get Chris to The Bronx?

"How did you take Chris from San Francisco to the Bronx?" I ask him fearfully.

"Oh I have my ways....you have till midnight tonight or I'll kill him"

The part that scares me the most is that I know he'll do it. Then I'll have to explain to his daughter how I'm responsible for her growing up without her dad.

Two hours isn't enough time for me to come up with a plan.

"That's two hours away Jake" I point out.

"Yep"

I clench my fist in anger.

Why is he doing this? This will achieve nothing. Does he want my blood on his hands, is that it?

"Why? What will this achieve? What will we be in the same room achieve?" I exclaim.

"You'll see...I have great plans for you" with that he ends the call.

Oh my God.

Well that's it, isn't it? I'm about to trade my life for Chris's, so he can live his life, and I'll be another body in the ground.

Suddenly Sam comes up from behind me. "Hey" he greets as kissing my neck "I heard your voice... Who were you talking to?"

Fuck.

I'm screwed.

I'm actually so fucking screwed.

"Jake," I say simply, causing him to shoot his head up.

"What?" His eyes immediately grow concerned.

I'm so fucking screwed.

"He has Chris in an abandoned house...he'll kill him if I don't meet him there by midnight tonight"

"Angel you know you can't go" Sam narrows his eyes.

"I have to, he'll kill him" I sigh.

"So I'll go" he looks into my eyes softly "you stay here"

"I can take care of myself Sam, I'm not a porcelain doll that needs to be kept behind glass"

The truth is, if I let Sam go, Jake will kill him. Jake will not hesitate to kill both Chris and Sam. But I know that he won't kill me.

"I know that Angel....more than anyone...I just can't stand the thought of losing you again"

"You won't" I look down.

Jake won't kill me.

He'll kill Chris and whoever else shows up but I don't think he'll kill Trisha's sister.

"You don't know that...not for sure"

"Jake won't hurt me but he won't hesitate to kill you" I cry.

"He stabbed you last time"

Oh Sam, so protective.

I won't let Jake kill you.

"Because I provoked him" I explain "I can control Jake"

"And what if you can't" he sighs "At least let me come with you"

"Alright" I agree before he kisses my lips. "We have two hours...how about you have a shower whilst I figure out the address"

"Sure okay" he agrees as I slowly exit the bathroom.

As soon as I hear the water running, I quickly take my clothes from his bedroom floor and get dressed.

There's no way in hell that I'll let Jake hurt Chris or Sam.

I take Sam's car keys before quietly leaving his college dorm. I walk across campus as dialling the number of a girl I know well.

"Hey, I know it's been a while" I admit "but I need your help"