Chapter 3

The exterior of the Fournier hotel on West 44th Street in New York is somewhat different to the one back in London. For starters, it's a lot taller and all glass and steel. At a glance, I'd say it was more than thirty floors, forty at a push. A long section of glass windows, along with two sets of revolving doors, run along the width of the building. Two smartly dressed doormen are standing at either door, welcoming guests as they come and go.

Just like the London hotel, black rugs are at each door with the hotel name clearly written on them in gold script writing, which matches the sign on the building letting people know the name of the hotel as soon as they see it.

"He likes to keep things the same," Nick informs, sensing my attention on the building rather than my phone like it has been since we got off the jet. I look at him and he nods to the building we are parked up outside. "Makes people recognise the hotels easier as soon as they see them."

"I see," I nod.

I remember Luca saying something about having his hotels seem the same. However, it got a bit too confusing when he began telling me that the restaurants were called the same the hotels in places. I was suffering from a hangover so nothing else was said on the matter because my head would hurt way more trying to figure it out.

"Kaylee, I would like to make you aware of the fact that almost everyone here will have either seen of read the interview Luca gave. The walk we have from this car to the hotel entrance will generate a few looks but pay no attention to them. The people who are in the hotel, other than guests, are paid to say nothing when it comes to their boss and his personal life. It not worth them losing their jobs if they say something out of line to someone in Luca's life."

I don't respond to Nick. There's nothing to respond to but it's nice to know that no one who works in the hotel will say something to me. The guests on the other hand, they are a completely different thing which I can only hope will be dealt with before it gets out of hand.

"My assistant," Nick starts, pointing to the slim built male walking out the hotel wearing dark blue chinos with a dark brown belt and a white shirt, "has checked you in under the name Alexa Miles. He knows what's going on and will keep up the pretence until told otherwise."

I lock my phone, take a deep breath, and take my seatbelt off. "Alright."

"Don't be nervous, Kaylee. I know this is new territory for you but enjoy the experience of being here. Not a lot of people get a chance to visit the city they have wished to visit for years."

I don't get a chance to respond before the car door opens next to me. The sound of car horns and people talking outside fills into the car but I don't get time to take note of any of that as I get out the car and immediately greeted by Nick's assistant. He takes my carry on bag from my hand and passes it to a hotel staff member.

"It's nice to finally meet you, Miss. Miles. My name is Ivan," he introduces, his American accent strong, before adding, "Mr. Madden's assistant."

He holds a hand out for me to shake and I smile as I put my hand in his, my eyes squinting as I look up at him. His sandy brown is cut into a simple crew cut style which seems somewhat acceptable for his job title. No male in my office back home has a simple hairstyle like that. They just like to be fancy and try new things.

"It's nice to meet you."

He lets go of my hand and slides his dark framed glasses up his nose. His green eyes blink a few times before he gestures for me to follow him into the hotel. I don't hold back and follow him into the hotel with Nick leading the way.