Chapter 34

If there were police about, we would've been pulled over for speeding and reckless driving without a shadow of a doubt. If there are any speed cameras we've driven by, they've caught us hurtling by without a care to others but all normal knowledge of car doors going to open of people walking out onto the road are the last things on our minds.

We just want to get to safety and fast.

With every road we go down, every corner we turn, the thoughts we have of thinking we're rid of Terence get crushed. Somehow, he manages to keep up with us through it all; matching us speed for speed, corner for corner. It's become apparent that everything Jones does, Terence copies.

"How can you be so calm in this?" Allison asks Jones, worry lacing her every word.

Her grip on my hand never lets up, not even for a moment. Her other hand is braced against the door to her right, much like my left hand on the door to my left. I glance at Jones who presses a button on his steering wheel which generates a ringing sound, indicating that's he's calling someone.

"Jones." A man answers after the second ring. It sounds like Carlo but I don't think it is. The tone is different but the accent is American without a doubt.

"Compromised," Jones states, turning another corner.

"The car again?"

"Yes. We're being followed as we speak."

"What do you need?"

"An interpreter and fast."

"Where are you?"

"A3216 Queenstown Road at Battersea Park."

"Okay. Nearly every road you've been on has been a straight road, that's why you can't lose him easily. There's a street not far from you, B310 Belgrave Square. A decoy will be waiting to intercept you there. Park up out of sight and they'll take over from there."

The call ends and Jones picks up the pace, dodging in and out of the traffic like he has been to try and put some much-needed distance between Terence and ourselves. He drives so far, running a light at amber before it goes to red in hope that Terence doesn't chance running another red light to get a ticket. It works but not by much as he stops beyond the line and sits parked up in the cycle space.

"Can't you shift this thing any faster?" Allison half begs. "Aren't Audi's supposed to be fast?"

"It's not a sports car, Miss. Nash." Jones tells her.

"The way you've been driving tonight, it may as well be."

Jones glares at her through the interior mirror before turning another corner, then another two before ending up back on the road we were on before turning the corners.

"It's to throw him off as he'll be looking to see where we're going," Jones explains.

We drive some more but at a decent speed before arriving at Belgrave Square Garden where Jones drives even more slowly, looking for the car to carry on the pursuit for us. Suddenly, car lights come on ahead of us and it pulls out of a space and parks up a car down for Jones to pull in. Jones pulls up at an angle and reverses into the space, turning the engine off which kills the automatic headlights.

"I'll be straight back," he says before getting out the car.

He locks the doors and moves to the car that vacated the space. The other car is the same make and model as this one. The number plate is the same apart from one letter, something Terence will hopefully miss and take the bait.

"Kaylee, I don't think I've ever been this scared in my whole life." Allison finally let's go of my hand and I flex my fingers. "That's saying something considering I've been through a lot of scary things in my life like you have."