Chapter 14

The frameless silver roman numeral wall clock opposite me on the wall in the kitchen has just gone six thirty. I hadn't noticed until now that Luca and I have taken our time eating, mainly talking about the most random of things from the past that has had us laughing since we sat down to eat nearly forty-five minutes ago.

I place my fork down on my empty plate and dab my mouth with my napkin. "I didn't realise you could cook that well. I remember when you used to burn everything you cooked."

Luca smiles, placing his half-empty glass down on the table.

"I did," he agrees. "But then I got some cooking lessons from Fredrick which has helped a lot."

"He seems to be a man of many things," I comment.

"Both he and I are."

I nod with raised brows.

Cocky prick.

"I know what you're thinking," he says. I look at him more directly. "I'm cocky."

"Aren't you always when it comes to me commenting on things that you suddenly say you're good at or know more of?"

"I'll try to tone that down."

He gets to his feet, picks both plates up, and walks to the sink. He places them in the sink and grips the edge of the worktop. He opens his mouth to say something but stops when the sound of his dad's voice filling the silent apartment comes flooding to us.

"Luca."

Luca sighs and walks to the opened door. "Yes?"

Footsteps make quick work of the dark oak herringbone flooring and I look at the gap Luca has left at the entrance to the kitchen, waiting for his dad to approach.

"Your mother-" Nick begins, coming to a stop next to Luca. He looks past him to me and I can see him take a silent deep breath, his chest rising and falling quickly. His hands slip into his dark trouser pockets. "Good evening, Kaylee."

"Nick," I acknowledge.

"Something you need, father?" Luca asks. He folds his arms over his chest.

Nick looks back to his son. "I was about to say that your mother is collecting Louisa for you if you wish to go and see Kaylee." His gaze turns to me before looking back to Luca. "But it seems you're one step ahead of me."

"I didn't plan on coming here," I butt in.

"Kaylee came to see me to talk about things that happened during her lunch meeting with my mother," Luca informs.

"I see. Jane informed me of that meeting." Nick pushes past Luca and walks over to me. "She said a lot was said about what happened all those years ago." He comes to a stop opposite me and his hands grip onto the back of the nearest chair. I look up at him. "Thank you for giving her a chance to say her piece."

"I felt like I needed to do so considering the fact that Luca and I are back together."

"That's true," Nick agrees. He straightens up. "She's not as . . . reserved towards this relationship like she was at the beginning but I could tell she wasn't happy about it."

"And what is she saying now?" Luca queries, walking over to us until he's standing next to me.

"Honestly? I can't get her to shut up about how happy she is you're happy."

Luca scoffs. "Happy? She can't shut up because she's happy? I never thought I'd see the day that someone would use those words in the same sentence to describe my mother."