Chapter 23

My grip with both hands on both Luca's hand and arm is tight as we walk along the corridors of the hospital to my dad's room. It's almost like I'm holding onto him for dear life. Like if I had to let him go, I'll wake up and all of what's happened until this point will be nothing but a dream and instead of getting the good news that my dad is awake, my dad has really passed away and I'm walking to say my final goodbyes to him.

I can feel Luca's lips on the side of my head and I look at him, a small smile emerging across my lips.

This is real.

It's all real.

The sound of my uncle Dom's voice reaches us before we get a chance to turn the last corner that will take us to my dad's room. We turn the corner and walk towards my uncle who is busy talking to a young nurse.

"He wants some fresh water. The water that's in his room is warm and not refreshing for him one bit. It's not refreshing for anyone."

"Of course. I'll see to it myself," the nurse says before disappearing.

"Thank you."

"Tut tut tut. Someone has turned rather demanding," I joke when we come to a stop in front of him.

"Only doing what my brother has asked of me." Uncle Dom looks at Luca and I, and exhales loudly while tilting his head to the side. "I got to say, I never thought I'd see the day I'd see the two of you dressed like you mean business."

I look from my work attire then to Luca's. His charcoal suit with white shirt and deep tie – something I didn't notice until now that matches my trousers – is hidden under his black overcoat. If you didn't know any better, you'd think we were a power couple who doesn't take shit from anyone. It's partly true but we don't care.

Uncle Dom raises a brow and points to Luca's tie then to my trousers. "Do you always co-ordinate with clothes when you're together?"

"No, not all the time." I let go of Luca and step to my uncle. "This is the first time today we've seen each other. It's a funny coincidence."

"As long as you're happy, baby girl." He pulls me into his arms and hugs me tightly. "I see nothing wrong with a little bit of co-ordination here and there."

I pull away and my uncle shakes Luca's hand, thanking him for everything that he's done until this point.

"It's not a problem," Luca responds.

"He's looking forward to seeing you, Kaylee. Hasn't stopped asking for you since he saw everyone earlier."

"I did tell gran that I'd be here at some point. I can't just leave work when it suits."

"You're here now. That's all that matters," uncle Dom says before walking away towards the exit.

I roll my eyes at him and push the door to my dad's room open. I look at my dad with a smile, having to stop myself from running over to him and embracing him in a vice hold.

"There's my baby girl," my dad happily greets before laughing.

"He's on a lot of pain meds," Dr. Watts informs from where he's standing next to the bed checking his vitals. "He's a little high right now but is well aware of what he's saying and what's being said."

"So I see." I step to the other side of the bed and sit down. "I'm surprised you're not doing their heads in with moaning about being in bed too long."

"I normally would," my dad agrees. "However, when you have tubes and everything hanging from your body, you can't do that. Plus, these tubes are feeding me some really good pain relievers."