Chapter 17

My mouth falls open as I blink down at the little girl staring up at me. I don't know which one of us is more startled and I don't get a chance to say anything in the way of an apology for entering her space or to say who I am before a set of hands fall onto my shoulders, flexing faintly, and I'm pulled to the side.

"Kaylee," Luca breathes heavily.

I look up at him, my mouth still open.

He looks from me to the girl, then back to me. He licks his lips and takes a deep breath.

"I . . ."

His gaze turns to the mess of the playroom and he frowns. I look down at the little girl and see her bottom lip begin to tremble.

"I'm sorry, daddy," she whispers.

"Louisa," Luca says softly. He leaves my side and walks swiftly to his daughter, crouching down at her side and pulling her close. "Didn't grandpa tell you to not make a mess in here after Tanya spent all afternoon tidying everything up in here?"

"He did but I couldn't find Bella," Louisa responds, on the verge of bursting into tears.

"Tanya placed her back in your room for tonight."

"Oh." She looks down at the floor and sniffs loudly. "I'm sorry, daddy."

"It's fine, sweetheart." Luca places a kiss on the side of her head, her fringe moving slightly on her forehead. "It's fine. You didn't know. I'll get your gran to tidy this up a bit when she comes later."

Luca gets to his feet and steps back to me.

"Kaylee," he starts. His chest rises and falls as he steadies his breathing before going on. "This is my daughter Louisa."

Louisa looks up at me, her hands clasping together as she shifts anxiously before us. She blinks a few times and I can't help but stare at her.

I'm mesmerised by her eyes. I want to say that they're so much like her dad's but they aren't. They're a pale shade of blue which has me staring at her to a point where I can't look away. Almost like I'm being drawn into something that will be hard to get out of.

She blinks up at me as though she's fluttering her lashes at me. Like she's trying to impress me but I'm already there. I don't need to be impressed considering the fact I know her dad pretty well.

Luca leaves me side and crouches back down next to his daughter. He runs a hand down her perfect chestnut hair that's pulled back into a simple ponytail.

"Louisa," Luca starts, getting her attention to him. She turns her attention to him without hesitation. He smiles. "This is Kaylee." He looks at me briefly before going on. "Do you remember the stories I used to tell you about the girl I was with when I was younger?"

She looks at me then back to Luca. She nods and Luca pulls her closer to him.

"Well," he continues, "Kaylee was that girl. She was the girl I told you about that I had gotten back in touch with."

She hesitates before speaking, her voice coming out soft and innocent. "The one you've been staying with?"

Luca laughs lightly. "Not staying with, darling. Sometimes we stay together but not all the time." He adjusts his position next to her so he's kneeling down on the floor. He pulls her into his hold and kisses the top of her head. "Kaylee is my girlfriend."

Louisa stays silent and stares at Luca. I don't think she's ever heard her dad say those words about someone before now. I don't even think that she's heard him say anything like that to her. She might not know what those words entail but Luca will no doubt explain it to her as best as he can.