Chapter 31

It's nearing two o'clock in the afternoon by the time we make it to Farnham Park. We couldn't have timed it any better as there was a car coming out of a parking space as we draw in and Luca is quick to park up in the space. I didn't want to say anything to Luca but I did notice that it was a space that was vacated by one of his bodyguards.

It's clearer to see when we get out that the cars parked up at either side of us belong to someone who works for either Luca or Fredrick. They are all blacked out and cage his Audi along with Fredrick's Jaguar car to the right so there will be no chance in anyone getting close to any of us.

"What time do you two call this? I thought you said late morning to early afternoon," Jade complains in a joking way.

She steps away from the back of the Jaguar and gives Luca a hug.

"We had to stop off at Kaylee's flat so she could get changed," Luca explains.

"I see." She pulls back and bends to kiss the top of Louisa's head before stepping to me to give me a hug. "I like your outfit choice for today, Kaylee. As I always do whenever we're together. At least you're not afraid to be seen unlike those two."

She points over her shoulder to Luca and Fredrick who are both busy putting on similar black and white baseball caps on their heads.

I frown. "Do they really think someone's going to attempt to approach them here?"

"Not with the bodyguards about, no." She turns and links her arm with mine. "But you can never know what someone may attempt to do."

"Come on, daddy." Louisa chimes, grabbing Luca's hand and pulling him in the direction of the nearest path.

"We're coming. We're coming," Luca assures.

Fredrick falls into line beside him, his hands stuffed into his jeans pockets. They walk ahead of us, Carlo leading the way with another two bodyguards next to him. Jones and another bodyguard walk behind Jade and I, staying close but not too close.

"They need to talk things out so hopefully, they can do that today," Jade speaks up.

"I hope so," I agree. "I spoke to Luca last night and told him some home truths that seemed to have hit home that the way things are going is only going to end up one way."

"They've been in business with each other since I can remember. This whole buyout thing that's come along is the biggest test they've faced but they need to be on the same page in order to get over it."

"Is Fredrick still getting offers?"

"The last I heard, he was. It just doesn't seem to be sinking into the person's head that he's not going to sell but it doesn't stop them from coming back with a counteroffer."

"Do you think he'll sell his share if they come back with an offer he can't refuse?"

"I don't want him to but I'm worried he might see the figures they're offering and agree to sell."

"But this isn't about the money for either of them. It's about offering something to people that makes them feel equal to everyone that's got money like them."

"I'm with you on that, trust me. And Fredrick never gives the lawyers enough time to tell him how much they've offered before he tells them he's not interested."

I look down at the ground as we continue to walk before squinting my eyes and looking at Jade. "Have you seen the offers?"

She glances at me and nods.

"And?" I press.

She exhales heavily. "I've seen one and it's not something someone in normal circumstances would turn down. It's twice as much as what his net worth is away from Luca's."