Chapter 37

It's early in the morning when we arrive in New York. What time in the morning, I'm not sure. None of us are. Our main objective was to get what we needed from our houses and make it to the airport for our flight which was nearing almost ten o'clock at night by the time we made it to the airport.

That was the last time any of us checked the time.

Now we're here, it seems somewhat quiet despite New York being known as 'The City That Never Sleeps'. The only sound we're met with when we get off the plane is Luca's bodyguards giving out instructions so everyone knows where we stand in terms of what's to be done. Fredrick and Jade will be driven back to their home with their security team. Luca and I will be driven to his parent's home with his security team.

I'm almost falling asleep in the back of the car as we drive to Nick and Jane's house. The time difference has messed up my system despite the fact that I had a sleep on the plane journey over here. Luca couldn't sleep, though, and no one can blame him. I tried to get him to rest for a little bit but he wouldn't. Fredrick and Jade even tried to get him to rest which only resulted in an argument starting up.

It got no one anywhere.

The drive from the airport to Nick and Jane's house is quick, something I didn't expect it to be. However, it is Carlo who is driving so I'm surprised. The car pulls up outside a townhouse, the outside lights turned on at either side of the double black front door with the number 336 clearly visible on the door on the right in gold. You can faintly make out the red bricks of the house surrounding the lights, as well as the black framed windows on the second floor where all the lights are turned on.

Luca gets out the car first and I follow him closely. The front door opens and a man comes out. He rushes down the steps and takes the car keys from Carlo before hopping into the car and driving away. Carlo ushers us up the polished steps and we are greeted with a wide-alert Jane.

"I thought you'd never get here," she addresses. She steps aside and lets us in. "Your father is in the office with Ivan and all of our security teams."

The small lobby is rather spacious with the pale grey walls and white wainscoting flowing through into the flawlessly laid out living room. We take a step down into the living room and Carlo and Jones walk on ahead of us, walking swiftly across the room and down a set of stairs to the floor below.

"Louisa is sleeping in her room on the fourth floor," Jane tells Luca.

"Thank you," Luca replies.

He gives her a tight hug before walking off to see his daughter.

"Kaylee," Jane breathes loudly, closing the front door and locking it. She beckons for me to follow her. "Come with me."

I follow her across the living room and down the stairs to the kitchen on the floor below. She firmly closes the back door that's to the left at the bottom of the stairs and mentions for me to have a seat at the island. I don't question her movements and just go with it.

"The office in the outbuilding," she explains when I'm sitting comfortably at the island. "It means neither of us is disturbed when we're doing business. Plus, they won't disturb us."

I don't respond.

She walks behind me to the built-in fridge freezer door. "Water, juice, or something stronger?"

"Eh, water is fine." I answer.

She pulls two bottles of water from the fridge and comes to stand in front of me, placing one in front of me.

I open the bottle and take a drink. "Thank you."

She nods.

"I know what you're thinking and what you want to say to me. I'll save you the time and say it for you." She takes a step back and holds her arms out to the side before spinning on the spot. "Yes, I am wearing worn out mom jeans. Yes, I am wearing a very ill-fitted balloon-sleeved shirt. And yes, I have no make-up on and I haven't done my hair."