Chapter 33

Four days.

It's been exactly four days since I moved into Luca's London home and I can already feel myself going insane. Not in a bad way but in a way that has me feeling like I'm no longer in control of my own life. Like I'm just another part of someone else's life who seems to be imposing on it in some way.

Every time I turn around in this house, there's always someone there either cleaning or standing guard. I can't leave a used cup in the sink for long before it's washed, dried, and put away. The dirty clothes I've had over the past four days have already been washed, dried, and hung up in the walk-in wardrobe in the master bedroom.

I don't see much of Luca like I used to but that's because he's always at meetings and trying to get to the bottom of who was watching me from their car. It's taken up most of his free time, time he'd normally use to spend time with both Louisa and I but I'm not complaining if it means he's closer to finding out who was watching me.

He did say that his plan was to return to New York the day after Jade's café opening tomorrow night, both Fredrick and Jade returning with him. He already sent Louisa back there with his parents yesterday, deeming it necessary because he doesn't want to worry about two people here to protect when he knows one will be more than well guarded away from here. It's not saying that I'm a priority but we all know that he would have been on that plane with his daughter going back to his home if it weren't for his work commitments keeping him here.

Even now as I sit on the natural coloured, tufted back couch in the living room, there's a woman at the opposite end of the room from me dusting the shelves of the glass and dark wood display cabinet. It's the second time within the space of an hour she's been in here 'cleaning'.

The first time she was in, she had taken away the empty plate and cup I had sitting on the dark wooden coffee table in front of me before cleaning the table and coaster I used. I didn't say anything because I didn't realise what she had done until I looked at the table and seen my travel cup in place of the white cup I had beforehand. She had brought me in my travel mug filled with my morning coffee ready for me to leave for work.

I'm not ungrateful for the people who Luca has hired to keep everything in check for him, but even he has to admit at times that it's a tad suffocating at times. You can't leave anything alone for a moment before it's tidied away and you begin to feel like you're losing the plot.

"Kaylee, are you ready to go to work?"

I look over my shoulder at Luca who is busy fixing the cuffs of his light blue shirt so it sits neatly under his charcoal suit. Carlo and Jones stand a step behind him, waiting for us leave like they have been doing since Monday.

It's been nice not having to travel to work by public transport, not that I minded before. I didn't need someone by my side going to work years prior and after all that's gone on, it's nice to travel to work in the privacy of a car with a driver whose top priorities are safety and privacy. It's an added bonus that it's with someone who knows what's happening and how to handle any issues if they occur.

I get to my feet and pick my bag up off the floor. "Yeah."

I walk to Luca and he takes my hand as soon as I reach him. I give him a warm smile and we walk out of the house towards the Jaguar that's parked up in front of the Audi Jones drives. I slip into the car to my usual seat behind the passenger seat and Luca gets in next to me.

"Jones will pick you up tonight," Luca announces, getting comfortable as the car begins to move. "I've got a late meeting with Fredrick and our lawyers."

"About the buyout offers or everything else that's going on?" I probe.

"A bit of both," he answers on a sigh. "Everything has gotten so hectic that it's gotten harder to determine what these meetings are for. Everything seems to be merging into one."