Prologue- The Poison of Predators

You walked along the pavement, dragging your feet through the overflowing water. You didn't skip like a normal little girl- not today, anyway. You were overcome with a grief a seven year old shouldn't even know of, because you had lost your best friend.

During school, you had only ever found one friend. You were odd in a way that other kids didn't want to talk to you, but a certain boy didn't seem to mind. He would look straight past it. You knew this little boy as your best friend in the whole wide world, but most knew him as 'Georgie'.

You already played together, from break to lunch, and even walking home. You would laugh and talk and go out to play, and you would enjoy every second with him. Being the young child you were, you believed you would marry him when you were older, and you could grow old together.

But one day, he just disappeared.

You asked your teachers, your friends, your parents and all, but nobody would give you an answer. The only thing you'd ever gotten was from your mother, who mumbled that he had 'moved away'. But that couldn't be true, and you knew it. Georgie would never leave like that without telling you; and his brother was still living a few blocks away from you. So your little mind couldn't understand what could've happened to him.

Anyway, you kicked the water at your feet as you walked onwards, deep in thought. You had snuck out of the house without permission, and you weren't wearing wellies or a coat. The rain soaked your hair but you didn't care. You were just thinking about Georgie, and how you could've invited him over to play snakes and ladders with you today.

As you thought more, you began to get upset. Who could blame you? You were a child with delicate feelings, and loosing your best friend for reasons you couldn't understand was bound to make you cry. Trying to stay strong, you sniffled and held back hot tears that blended in with the rainwater running down your face. You quickened your pace to a fast walk.

Then you heard it.

A voice, it was. It was quiet and shaky as it whispered out, "You!"

You swung around on your heels, eyes scanning the area around you. There was nothing but houses and rain, and not a person in sight. A few more seconds later, you shrugged it off and began turning back on track.

"Hey, you there! Down here!" The same voice called again. There was a faint echo after it, and it didn't take you long to realise it was coming from inside the gutter. Now, if you were a fully developed adult, you would've known something was wrong the instant you heard it coming from the gutter, but as a child you lacked in consideration.

So you walked over to the gutter.

"That's it..." The voice said roughly and unsteadily, as if it were on edge and angrily desperate, "Let's see that pretty little face of yours."

You giggled and blushed, and being the stupid kid you were, you got onto your hands and knees and peered into the darkness of the gutter. You stopped smiling then, and began squinting. You could only see blackness from the lack of light.
"I can't see you" you say.

Then your eyes picked up a sudden movement within the darkness, and suddenly a figure emerged into where there was light present, near the front of the gutters entrance. Now you were face to face with a quite hideous looking clown. He had faded ginger hair that stuck up in a crazy but somehow orderly fashion, a deathly white face with very distinct makeup. His smile was paper thin,  revealing freakishly long front teeth, and trailing from the corners of his red lips were lines that curved up over his cheeks and thought his bright orange eyes. His nose was a clear red, just like a classic clown, whilst his forehead was unusually large and faintly cracked.