Chapter 4- Clown Down in Derry Town

[⚠️FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVEN'T CAUGHT ON YET, THIS STORY DOES TAKE PLACE YEARS AFTER THE MOVIE, SO WAY AFTER BILLY AND THE BOYS 'KILL' PENNYWISE.⚠️]

'So, ironically, you did the crazy thing by picking up your flashlight that was flickering on and off, and walking towards where you saw the creature back off.'

You tread along the passageway, trying to comprehend that you were actually doing this. Heading towards a creature that tried to kill you, for reasons you don't quite understand. It was foolish of you, but you needed to know. You needed answers to your brewing questions. What was that thing? Was it Pennywise? Where is Georgie? What exactly happened to him all those years ago when you were young kids?

You were so caught up in your own thoughts that you hadn't been looking where you were going, and for the third time today you fell and hurt yourself. You grunted, this time in frustration instead of pain, and looked down to see what had caused your misfortune this time. It was pretty surprising to you to see the hand you had found earlier by the caravan and thrown in fear. It must've been one hell of a throw, because it ended up down here.

You made an 'eww' sound as you stood up and dusted yourself off- you were just grateful that there wasn't any dirty water down here. The place was completely dry, so you guessed this was an old sewer system that was no longer used.

Anyway, you continued onwards until you came into a bigger opening again, but this time it didn't seem to lead to anywhere in particular. It was just pitch black in there, with no holes or light sources. Luckily you still had your flashlight, so you gave it a little smack to get it to stop flickering as you scanned the wide space for anything.

Then you saw it...him...her...you weren't sure, but you settled with a 'him'.

The clown. Pennywise. It was definitely him. He was wearing the same attire as he did all those years ago. A frilled golden looking costume like the old fashioned clowns used to wear in the 20s- 50s, and crazy gingery brown hair. In the light of the flashlight, you couldn't make out his face. He was slouching on the floor with his legs out in front of him, and his head was hung as if he were dead. It didn't help that he didn't move either.

Unsure of your own decisions, you choose to cautiously approach him. This felt like a dream, everything so surreal. You were seeing something that you'd only seen and idolised in your childhood as a best friend...but now you weren't so sure. Seeing him now, through the eyes of an adult, you couldn't help but feel that he was a major threat. The only reason you were approaching this...thing...was to prove yourself wrong again.

"Uh" you gulped, shinning your flashlight on him as you stood about two meters in front of his still body. "A-are you...dead?"

What a stupid question to ask.

However, it seemed to get things going, because seconds later the clown very, very slowly raised his head up towards you. His eyes were this bright orange that almost shone back against the light of your torch. He was exactly as you remembered him to be, but instead he had a lot of wounds and bruises, including the new one that was forming on his forehead where you'd thrown your light at him. You instinctively took a step back, seeing the predatory look in his eyes. One things for sure, he didn't look happy. He looked angry and even distressed.

"I-" you started, but had no idea what to say. Was he going to attack you? You were positive that it was him back there that attacked you earlier, so why was he not doing anything now? It was like he had run out of energy. You took a breath and stood up straight. "Sorry, that was a silly question" you said shakily.