Lifetime Sentence

"I wanna tell you...you deserve to know"

Jaebum ran his fingers the youngers strawberry locks comfortingly.

"Well if you want to talk I'll listen." He said in a caring tone.

Youngjae nodded before he started to tell his story.

"You see. When I could walk my favourite things to do was dance and explore. Just like now I wasn't allowed outside the castle but it didn't stop me. I would always find my way out. One night when I was out of the castle on one of my adventures I met someone."

Youngjae smiled into Jaebum chest at the memory.

"His name was Joo-han. He was really kind and sweet. We stayed up together the night just chatting about random things while lying under the stars. After that night we continued to meet. I would always sneak out at 11:00pm and meet him at our spot. He was my best friend."

The smile on Youngjae face faded. "Or that's what I thought he was anyway."

"One night I asked him if he wanted to come to the castle to hang out instead of outside where it was cold. He agreed. So we went. I introduced him to Jackson because I knew Jackson would be happy I made a friend, and he was. Back then Jackson was not at all over protective. He was the most chilled, laid back guy you could fine."

Jaebum nodded even though he couldn't imagine Jackson as being a laid back guy.

"What happened? Everything sounds so good" Jaebum questioned.

"It was, until I..."

"You?"

"I caught him."

"Caught him?"

"It was earlier in the morning and still very dark, the only sort of light was the moon. I think it was about 2:00am? A noise woke me up. I opened my eyes and I saw him in the corner of my room. He was holding a knife. I kept asking what he was doing? Why was he there? Because he never came without me knowing. But he didn't say anything. He just kept creeping closer. I got off the bed. I began to scream for help but help was too late. He grabbed me and plunged the knife in my back severing the lower part of my spine."

Jaebum felt Youngjae tremble in his embrace. He wasn't crying but the memory still scared him.

"There was so much blood Jaebum. I couldn't feel my legs anymore. My throat was horse and I couldn't scream either. I thought I was going to die."

"How did you get away?"

"Jackson came barging in and immediately shot Joo-han through the head. I thought I was very lucky. If Jackson came a minute later the guy would have killed me."

"Do know his motive for doing such a sick thing?"

Youngjae nodded.

"I didn't know the reason until later though. Apparently Joo-Hans father used to work here as a guard. He worked down at the dungeon but one day was killed by a prisoner there. Joo-Han blamed it on the King not having a good enough prison system and was set on revenge."

"...wow..."

Jaebum was speechless. He didn't know what to say. Youngjae obviously understood this as he continued to talk.

"Jacksons personality really changed after that day. He blamed himself for the entire thing saying things like 'it's all my fault, I should have kicked him out when he first came'. But everyone knows it not his fault. It was all mine. I was dumb and stupid. Joo-Han and I both got what we deserved. A sentence to death and a sentence to a life time without legs."

'Personally I rather be dead.' Youngjae thought but didn't say aloud.

The boy remained quiet in Jaebums embrace for a while, letting all that information sink in.

"Can I ask you another question prince? Or would you like to sleep now?"

"Go ahead."

"The balcony-"

Youngjae tensed, having a rough idea of what the other was going to ask.

"Why aren't you allowed to go on it? I'm going to be truthful and say that I thought you fell off and that's what caused you to have no function of your legs, but obviously that's not the case-"

"I-It's nothing serious, my father thinks it's dangerous for me to out there so he locked it. That's all."

Jaebum arched an eyebrow, he could tell that the younger was lying.

"Am I allowed to have the truth? If you don't want to talk about it that's fine, but I don't particularly like lairs."

Youngjae buried his head further into the others chest.

"I don't want to say it to you...I don't think I can bring myself to tell anyone...if you want to know, go ask Jackson. Him and father are the only ones who know. C-Can we go to sleep now?"

Jaebum was curious but he wasn't going to push the boy. He'll speak to Jackson another time about it.

For now, he wanted to calm the younger male he was holding.

"Of course. Sleep well Youngjae-ah." He cooed, rubbing the youngers back comfortingly until the prince fell asleep.

It's short but at least you know what happened to Youngjae!