Hoseok X Reader Pt. 2

She smiled. "I'm okay. I'm strong."

"I know you are, Angel."

The nickname rolled off his tongue and he felt himself tense up. It had been a name reserved just for you once upon a time, and he could feel the winds billowing against the cobwebs of his mind. The sense of longing jabbed into his heart and caused a wave of despair to crash over him.

Knowingly, his daughter reached over and grabbed his hand.

"Dad. You're strong too."

He shook his head, feeling tears well up in his eyes. "I'm not. I'm really not at all, sweetie."

"Dad, I want you to stop being sad." she frowned and squeezed his hand. "Please. You're the only person I have left, and I want you to be happy. What can I do to make you happy again?"

Hoseok sobbed into his young daughter's chest. "I don't deserve you. I don't deserve either of you."

Maturely, Hope patted his back quietly, letting her father cry. But her words had opened up a dam inside his being.

You're the only person I have left.

He couldn't wither away and drown himself in the past anymore. He couldn't keep having his daughter worry for him. He was supposed to be the one comforting her, protecting her, guiding her, and making her happy. But it had become reversed because once again; he was too busy being selfish, as he had been with you during your marriage. However, his daughter's words had brought him to the realization that just as much as he pined for his wife to return, his daughter too longed for her mother, but she had never let it show for these past few years.

She, a young child thrown into the burden of maintaining a strong facade without knowing the real reason, had constantly been worried that she would lose her father too. And so, she spent every day trying to do little things to make him happy; dealing with the present rather than living in the past like he should have been.

He was so frustrated with himself. Had he always been this weak and helpless?

"Live, Papa. Be happy." His daughter whispered into his hair. "I love you."

Her affection only caused Hoseok to cry harder. How could anyone love him, as much as you two loved him? Why had he been blessed with two angels he never deserved?

After he finally cried everything out, he blushed, embarrassed for having shown his daughter that side of him, but she greeted him a heart-warming smile, like she was satisfied that she had finally helped him somehow.

"Will you help me, my angel?" he smiled in return.

"Help you?" she blinked. "With what?"

"To be happy again."

She giggled. "Papa, that's silly. You don't need help with that."

"I don't?"

"No." she grinned and pulled at his cheeks. "Mom always said loving someone will automatically make you happy. That's why I'm always happy, because I love you!"

Hoseok felt tears well up in his eyes again. He had always been a crybaby, but this was a whole new level. He nodded fervently and peppered his daughter with kisses. If that was his wife's advice, then he had to surely take it to heart.

The love he couldn't give you, he would surely give your daughter. The future he had planned for all three of you, he would share with her. And he knew deep down that wherever the two of them were, you would be.

He had to move forward, for his sake, and for his daughter's. He couldn't live with more regrets, broken promises, and dreams that never came to fruition because he had been dwelling on the past for far too long. His life needed to start again, and it was ironic that out of all the specialists, family, and friends that he had gone to, it was his daughter that had successfully pulled him out of his clouded mind.

And little by little, he slowly began to feel more like himself again.

"Dad, dad! Carry me like a princess!" Hope had requested once she was discharged back home in a cast.

Hoseok obliged, although the traces of your frail body still lingered on his arms when he assumed the position. It wasn't fair either that Hope had inherited your eyes and smile. But on the other hand, she did inherit his playfulness, sense of humor, nose, and obnoxiously loud voice; so needless to say, the house became much livelier from then on.

Yoongi and his daughter were invited over often too. The two widows had always found comfort and understanding with each other, while the children also seemed to attach themselves to each other after discovering a significant, mutual bond. Hoseok willed himself to open up gradually. First, he opened up to Yoongi about his new sense of purpose, and much to his surprise, Yoongi had adopted a similar mindset to deal with his grief.

"I still find her in different things in my life." The usually stoic faced man smiled happily as he spoke about his deceased wife. "In my music, in the dishes that she used to make, the places she used to love, but she's especially prominent in my daughter."

The two glanced over at their daughters.

"When missing her becomes too unbearable, I talk about it with my daughter. Kids are much smarter than we give them credit for, you know." Yoongi hummed.

"Oh I know." Hoseok laughed.

"I'm sure Hope misses her mother just as much as you miss her. I think it'll be good to slowly talk about her to each other. Don't ever miss her alone, because you're not alone in missing her." Yoongi patted Hoseok's hand warmly. "And what keeps me going is the thought that she's up there judging me right now for the amount of fumbling I'm doing."

Hoseok chuckled.

"But I want to make her proud nonetheless." Yoongi straightened up and grinned. "So when we meet again, she has nothing to tease me about."

The two men giggled.

"Knowing her, she's already compiling a list of things to tease you about." Hoseok bantered.

"Let's hope there'll be too many that she'll give up keeping track." Yoongi winked.

And Hoseok smiled. Seeing Yoongi being able to open up about his wife, living so positively with a strong mindset, only encouraged him further to look ahead. It was possible. It was possible to be happy again.

But there was one significant difference between their two tragic stories.

By: Nicky                                       Words Written: 1093