Hoseok X Reader Pt. 4

It was time that he told his daughter the entire, unfiltered story of her parents. Only when he spoke the truth could he truly ask for forgiveness, and maybe, just maybe, he would be able to truly live as fully as you had wished him to.

Hoseok padded into the kitchen with the box, observing the way his daughter hummed as she bustled in the kitchen. She had grown up before his eyes, and he smiled at the memory of her trailing after you in the kitchen, clapping and singing along with you two on those precious family weekends he hadn't cherished enough. He lightly placed the box on the table and embraced his daughter warmly from behind, surprising her.

"Dad, I'm trying to get the brownie batter mixed well." she complained lightly, but Hoseok only squeezed her tighter. She seemed to sense his sadness because she relaxed and let go of the spatula covered in brownie batter. "You okay?"

Hoseok shook his head. He wasn't going to lie anymore.

"Do you want to talk about it?" she hummed.

Normally when she did, Hoseok had always refused, but it never stopped her from asking again and again. But finally, he nodded and whispered. "Can I?"

She turned and smiled sadly, cupping his face. "I've been waiting."

"Dad!" Hope giggled as Hoseok tried to fix up his little bow tie in front of the mirror. The day had finally come for him to meet his daughter's boyfriend. "You're being too formal."

Hoseok smiled sheepishly. "I've never done this before..."

Hope laughed and shook her head. "Well me neither, but I can say that a bow tie is too formal for this occasion. You're just meeting him, not sending me off for marriage."

Hoseok sighed and pulled off his bow tie and blazer. "I know. I'm just nervous."

"Why would you be nervous? He should be the one that's nervous." Hope kissed his cheek. "And right now, I love you more so he has to impress the both of us."

Hoseok smiled and squeezed his daughter's hand reassuringly.

"But I do want to be with him for a long time." she added. "That's why I want to see what you think of him, and how well you two get along. It's important to me."

Hoseok nodded understandably. "I know."

Suddenly, the doorbell rang and his daughter's grin widened brightly. Hoseok's heart panged at the thought that now some other person was making his little girl beam like that. Long gone were the moments where he used to tickle her or make farting noises just to hear her laughter.

"He's here!" she hurried down the stairs.

Hoseok inhaled deeply to compose himself. Ever since he agreed to meeting with Hope's boyfriend, he had never heard the end of the stories. In some ways it was nice to see her glowing, but in other ways, it made him irritated and bitter. He guessed that that was what every father went through with their daughters.

He made his way down the steps hesitantly, already hearing the giggles and chatter of the two in the living room. Peeking in, his nerves dissipated with just one look. The boy had an infectious grin and bright eyes. Just based on appearance, he had a warm, yet bright aura.

"Dad!" Hope noticed his presence immediately, and the boy beside her stood up hurriedly.

"Hello, Mr. Jung." he outstretched his hand nervously. "I'm Kim Taehyung, sir."

Hoseok smiled, remembering when you had introduced him to your parents for the very first time. Hoseok had been a nervous wreck and messed up his introductions. Luckily, your parents found it endearing and genuine, taking his fumbling as a positive.

"Just call me Hoseok." he firmly shook the boy's hand. "Have a seat and get comfortable. I'm not too sure how these things really go down."

"It's my first time too." Taehyung blushed.

"Oh, I'm glad." Hoseok grinned. "So tell me about yourself, Taehyung."

And from there, the conversation flowed between all three of you. Soon, your living room was filled with laughter then you all transferred to the kitchen for Hope's homemade dinner.

Taehyung was very amiable and gentle, openly candid and optimistic. He was a little odd, but it was adorable and endearing, so much so that Hoseok found himself falling a little for the kid. In his mind, he could see the suggestive look you would give him if you had still been around to witness this, and he could feel the constant nudging you would be doing, urging him to accept Taehyung already.

"Is...this...is this your mother?"

The warm atmosphere soon turned awkward and icy as Taehyung pointed at a family picture standing over your fireplace. Hoseok felt his stomach drop at the mention, but luckily, Hope was more composed than he was.

"Yeah. Pretty, right?"

Taehyung stared at the picture in disbelief. "No way..."

"What?" Hoseok and Hope questioned, a tad offended.

"No!" Taehyung flustered. "I meant that in an 'Oh my gosh. No way. This is unbelievable' type of way...because...because I've met her before..."

"What?" Hoseok felt the color leave his face.

"Y/N... right?" Taehyung smiled sadly as he stared at the picture.

"Yeah..." Hope answered softly. "Yeah, that's her name."

Taehyung stared at them, trying to register this miraculous coincidence, and then in one fell swoop, he fell to his knees and bowed.

"Thank you." he stated, surprising Hoseok and Hope.

"T-Tae?" She blinked.

Tae lifted his head up, his eyes slightly watering. "Your mother, your wife...she saved me."

Hope's and Hoseok's eyes widened in shock at the news.

"When I was a kid...I practically lived in the hospital because I was sick. But the persisting issue was that I was losing my eyesight rapidly. I was terrified and I used to cry all the time. I didn't want to go blind. I didn't want to stop seeing my family and live in a world of darkness. It was in one of those crying fits that she came and sat next to me."

Tae smiled sadly as he recounted the fateful encounter with you.

"Hey kid, why're you crying?" You frowned as you sat beside him. Your body was weary from the chemotherapy, so you needed to rest a bit before heading back home. And seeing such a young child around Hope's age in a hospital gown, bawling his eyes out by his lonesome, tugged at your heartstrings.

"I don't want to go blind." Tae wept. "I want to see my family. I want to see my toys."

You patted his head gently.

"And I want to play outside with the other kids. I don't want to stay in my room all day with all those beeps and older people." Tae sniffled.

You hummed. "Want to run away with me?"

Tae's eyes brightened at the thought. "Can I?"

By: Nicky                              Words Written: 1147