Chapter 5: Amber

• -Opal- •

I never liked crushes

I never liked crushes. I never liked someone having one on me or me even getting one. It was always the same thing. The person gets this mental image of who you are and then they meet you and actually converse with you then they realize you aren't that person they created in their head then they move on to the next person just to start from square one all over again, but this time leaving someone upset because they couldn't live up to the expectations they didn't know they were supposed to follow.

That's why I stopped liking people in that senses. When my brain starts turning an innocent liking into something else it becomes aware that it was supposed to end it right there and then, so I haven't ever had a boyfriend, haven't ever even been kissed and I am still in high school. I just can't bring myself to even begin feeling that way to someone.

Staring at my reflection, I don't see myself. I see my father's eyes, my mother's nose, my father's hair color and other features that I just can't bring myself to believe are mine.

I'm stood here between two periods in an empty school bathroom. After Mom dropped my and Ollie off we walked silently to his locker where I said goodbye and he nervously waved. I then went to my first lesson, my head not focused on the teacher but the waving leaves outside the window that fluttered each time the wind blew. I then went to the bathroom in pure exhaustion though I had a full night of sleep and an extra large cup of coffee to go with my pancakes because I knew how sluggish I'd be.

Yet I still found myself in the same rut I always find myself in.

The school bell rings it's usual tune bringing my back into reality. I sigh, my hands taking hold of the bundle of books that sat on the counter, by the sink, and I started making my way to my second lesson.

I saw the rush and chatter wash by me as everyone made their way to their own classes in the hallway. My roaming eyes connected with soft hazel ones before the set of eyes widened and turned. Ollie started walking again, this time in a hurry as we both went to the end of the hall for our lesson.

I didn't understand why he was always nervous with me. I wanted him to be comfortable around me considering he freaks out in any social situation, but it always seems to be the opposite.

I watched him hurry into the classroom before the bell got a chance to ring. I entered after him, the waft of the same amber and vanilla hit my nose making me sigh in peace as I continued to walk to my seat. The scent was almost delicious and made me want to just sit with him for hours and be around him just to have it surround me.

I placed my books down on the blue school table before pulling my chair out and sitting down. I could already hear the blur of voices stir before silencing at the arrival of the teacher. I was lost in a heap of my own thoughts, my eyes concentrated on the windows by my desk.

As the lesson began to end my boredom has skyrocketed and I found myself just doodling on the edge of my page. I wanted to pay attention just as much as I wanted to go to sleep but I, as always, found myself back in my head the way I always am.

"Okay, before all of you can go, I wanted to talk to you about your upcoming assignment." The class groaned in usion, the sound nothing different from my own thoughts. "You are to write a letter to a dead person. It could be about anything, absolutely anything. But I don't want you guys to worry as of yet, we still have a lot of time. All you have to do is come up with a short list of potiential options with a short paragraph for each." The bell rang cutting her off, as most of the class got up from their seats.

Her voice soon died down into the mess of voice the classroom held as everyone expressed their bored. I stood up, my books in my hand and my head casted downwards, watching my sneakers as they moved, my laces shaking with each calculated step.

"O-Opal," a soft voice mumbles from next to me with a small double tap on my shoulder.

Looking up I see a downcast head filled with a mess of brown, chocolate curls and soft peering eyes. I smile softly.

"Yeah."

"Hi," he says softly, a smile covering his face.

"Uh, hi," I say awkwardly not knowing what exactly he wanted.

"Um, you want to sit with, um, me and Fay, please." His smile seems to flicker on and off as he patiently waited for a reply.

"Um, I don't know. I don't really know Fay, but um I guess I could." My awkward reply seems to brighten his face making my nervous disperse and is replaced with an unknown feeling that makes me feel happy.

"Really?" he asks, overjoyed. "Um, we are going to be sitting in the canteen at lunch. We'll meet you there, please." He smiles a large toothy smile that seems to melt my heart.

"Sure." We seem to begin walking now, our legs taking us to third period quite quick. "What do you have now?"

"Um, Ollie has, uh, chemistry. What does Opal have, please?" he asks a still heartwarming smile on his face.

"I have biology."

A silence sets with both of our awkwardness on full blast but I can tell he isn't paying attention to it with the bright smile still on his lips. Soon my worries were gone, with him right beside me, but I know they'd be back when I got the chance to be alone in my head. Alone in my head.

I was always in my head it seemed. I was always distracted by a scratch on the wall or a little bit of marker the miss forgot to erase from the board. Whatever it was it would always captivate me. My eyes would be, like glue, stuck to it as I thought. As I locked myself in my brain.

Soon, I let Ollie go and we both said goodbye. Him walking away to his class and me turning away towards mine.

A/N

Hey! You guys I've been working on this chapter for awhile now and I didn't have time to look over it so I am aware of the multiple mistakes I have probably made while writing this, so I'd just like to say that I'm sorry about that. Also, if you guys  see any mistakes you want to point out just comment them and I'll fix 'em. I hope you enjoyed this chapter. School has been very time-consuming so I haven't had much time to write but I am trying my hardest.

Don't forget to vote and comment and maybe share this with whomever! Lots of love.