Chapter 14: Jade

• -Ollie- •

Despite the bruise on her cheekbone and the bandaid on her forehead she looked beautiful, a damsel in distress. Her hair was a complete mess and her hazel eyes showed her obvious exhausted, but I knew she was exhausted of much more than what just happened.

I never knew that this was going on to her but I have heard people call her names. Just the thought of people calling her those names disgusted me but I wasn't close to her at the time to defend her, no matter how much I wanted to.

She looked like fragile glass laying on the bed and covered in the thin white blanket. She was still wearing the clothes from yesterday, no one has taken them off or changed her or anything. She looked like her usual self which was the only comfort left for me, and most probably her too.

I was sat on an uncomfortable plastic white chair next to her bed as she lays soundlessly asleep, her mother had left to get sandwiches for all of us before Opal woke up and that's when I noticed it.

From the small peak of her long-sleeved shirt I saw them. Horizontal red lines were peaking out to get a glimpse at me. At first I was confused at what I saw but then I knew exactly what I was looking at and it broke my heart.

My Opal was hurting and I never knew. If it weren't for her I would've had hell for years with the way everyone at our school acts towards anyone who was even in the slightest bit different but now she is the one who is being ridiculed. I promised myself to show he'll to anyone who tried to hurt her ever again.

I was frozen in my chair, my breathing has stop as my brain went thousands of miles an hour. I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do in this position.

Tell her mother? Tell someone, anyone? Who do I even tell if not her mother? Would she want me to tell? Of course not. Do I pretend I didn't see the cuts? I ask myself these as I begin to hear her mother talking to a nurse.

I can't pretend I didn't see them. I'm not going to let her continue hurting herself.

I quickly adjust her sleeve and make sure the other one is not betraying her. I wanted her to be relaxed. She must be exhausted from all this drama that's already happened.

My heart was torn and all that was inside has been cutting herself and is laying in front of me on the hospital bed sleeping the pain away. My hazel eyes is glasses over ready to drop those clear salty water droplets down my cheeks, but when I heard the door being opened my body separated itself from her and I blink the tears away.

Her mother walked in, a sad broken smile on her face attached with her, trying to be strong for everyone.

"Oh Ollie, you know you don't have to be here," she said entering and closing the door behind her. "You should go home. Your mother must be scared to death."

"No Ms. Anderson... Ollie is... Ollie is good, he promises. Want to stay for Opal." Almost automatically my body turns to the sweet angel on the bed looking like a goddess that has just been in war.

My heart felt like it was growing in size with every beat of it's pulses. I was so focused on Opal that I didn't feel the heavy gaze on me.

"You love my daughter don't you." I felt as frozen as ice at those words, unable to process them before they finally click.

"O-Ollie is- uh... he um-" I freeze clearing my throat to stall the time.

She giggles loudly, quickly covering her mouth with her hand. "I can see it. The way you look at her it's like the way my dad still looks at my mom and the way my late husband used to look at me." She grows really solemn now, any laughter she had left was gone. "Opal needs someone like you. She tries to be strong but she can't fight all these battles on her own. I can tell she likes you too maybe more than she likes to think she does, but she would never act on it let alone let herself believed someone might like her the way you do. All I'm saying is you have my blessing, Ollie. You don't have to do anything but she needs someone right now and I know she doesn't want worry me, but she does, all the time. She needs you Ollie."

A/N

I am so sorry for the long wait. I promise updates will be more frequent. The past two weeks were wild I swear. I had an engagement party to attend then a so much homework and projects and presentations that I'm still working on. I love you guys so much and I hope you liked this chapter. How was your guys' day by the way? We're you as stressed and sleep deprived this week as I was?

If you like this chapter don't forget to vote! They truly make my day because then I knew you like them.