Chapter 12: Azurite

• -Ollie- •

Opal went home after watching a couple of old Disney movies with me and having to endure an awkward moment where I didn't let her go until she said she was completely fine. I sat there looking over her face and hands and tickling her stomach as she moaned that she was alright and hilariously laughed when my hands dig into her stomach.

I was just glad she went home with a smile on her lips. If she didn't I wouldn't be able to sleep until I saw her next and thankfully that would probably be tomorrow at school.

Now, I lay in bed watching the silhouette of branches from my curtains. I knew Opal was safe and sound in her own room because I walked her to her house and all the way into her room, that was a pale blue color and had a desk, a vanity, a bed, and an unlimited amount of tedy bears stuffed on top of her bed. I gave her a final hug which she gratefully reciprocated before she thanked me again.

When I came home I found my mom laying on the couch exhausted and my dad giving her feet a little massage. I asked if she was alright and she just replied telling me that she was fine and just had a long day at work. They both kissed my forehead and wished me a goodnight, sending me off to bed.

Now I lay in bed staring at shadows and thinking endlessly of everything that today was. It was an eventful day, but I could not wait for tomorrow to come, only because it meant I'd spend more time with Opal.

Soon I found myself slowly lulling to the side and falling into a deep asleep. The night dragging on as everyone in the house fell quiet and sound asleep.

____________

I slipped into the front seat, my mom getting in from beside me, to the driver's seat. She was much shorter than me but she was the boss of the whole family, but we all loved her. She was always there for me and always made sure I had everything and that no one was being mean to me. She always took great care of me even though she had a million things to juggle all at once.

"Seatbelt," she reminds me, making me immediately fasten it.

She starts the car after fastening her own seatbelt and we go down the road, slow and steady. I watch as the ground disappears below us and the car, the sound of the car's soft rumbling sounding loudly to me at least.

"So, who was that girl you had over last night." My mother smirks.

If there was anything she was more interested in than "The Bachelor" it was my own love life. My mother is a sucker for love.

"Just a friend Momma." I blush trying my hardest to show her that I wasn't interested in this girl even though I was beyond interested.

"Oh really?" She smirks.

"Yes, now was Momma okay yesterday?" I say both interested in the answer and also using it to stir the conversation to a different direction.

"Sweetheart, I'm alright. You don't have to worry about me. I just had a long day at work yesterday, but your dad was there with me. You don't have to worry, honey," she says, while rubbing my arm soothingly.

"Okay, Momma." I smile softly at her.

We spend the rest of the time in a calm silence, slowly nearing the school. I could see some people, I've seen pass me by in the halls, walking towards the school, or cycling towards it.

We soon reach and Mom parks by the large gate. She leans over towards me and plants a motherly kiss on my temple before telling me to have a great day at school.

"Bye Momma." I smile as she waves.

I pick up my backpack and slip out of the door and closing it behind me. Then make my way inside, passing the crowds of students that were taking their time walking and talking with their friends.

I went through the hallway and towards the lockers, stuffing my bag inside the large blue rectangular shaped container before taking out the first few books I'd need for my first lesson.

A pair of hands seem to attach themselves on my shoulders before covering my eyes. "Guess who?" Fay says not even bothering to use a fake voice.

"Is it Fay?" I play along as I turn towards her.

"Good guess. Now tell me what's going on with you and Opal. You texted me last night that she was at your house then you don't even reply. That's just mean. What happened?" She places both her hands on her hips and juts one side out.

"Opal was sad so Ollie took care of her," I say watching her smile.

"Awww, Ollie. Why was she sad? Did she tell you?" she quizzes.

"No, but she felt better afterwards. She told Ollie."

"You guys are adorable. Now let's go, you know how Mr. Richard gets when he sees me late."

"Okay, Ollie just needs pencils." I fiddle through my bag and grab a pencil and an eraser. "Okay, Ollie done."

"Alright let's go. What do you have now?"

"English." I smile knowing Opal was at that class with. I started to pray Fay doesn't remember I had that lesson with Opal, not wanting her peering into what felt private, because Opal being sad was not something I wanted to tell someone without her saying it was okay.

She doesn't seem to remember what I told her once at the beginning of the year nor even notice the smile on my face so we start talking about Mr. Richard again and how much she hated him, making me laugh the whole way through. But deep in my chest, the excitement I felt was sparked by the knowledge of seeing Opal in just a few minutes.

But the next thing I see makes both Fay and I freeze.

A/N

You guys, I got a haircut recently, it's at shoulder length right now. I prefer it a lot when it's straightened and everything. I've never had an awful experience at the hair salon, have any of you had one? I can't even fathom how awful that'd be.