Chapter 27: Ametrine

• -Opal- •

I separate from Ollie, my cheeks red and blushing. The smile on his face is so love filled it surprises me so much. He's been the only one that never stopped giving up on me. There should be more people that way.

"Ollie loves you," he whispers, making me stop breathing.

"Opal, why didn't you tell you were here?" Mom says. Pulling me into a hug, not hearing Ollie or seeing the kiss we shared only moments ago.

"I'm so sorry," I cry silently, into her rounded shoulders.

"It's okay. It's okay, baby. You're okay." I tighten my arms around her, holding her tightly to me.

"I love you, Mom," I sob.

"I love you too. Come on now we need to head home." She unwraps her arms from and kisses my forehead, looking into my eyes before wiping the tears from them.

She walks ahead of us towards the car and Ollie pulls my hand into his, starting to walk too. His words still fresh in my ears. His voice was so silent making me think he didn't even say it, but the way my whole body felt from his words reassured me he did say them. I would not have just imagined that.

I know I feel the same way, but I'm not saying those words just yet. I owed him and I'm going to make it up to him. I love him.

"Ollie, I'm so sorry."

"It's okay," he says, pulling my hand up and kissing the back of my hand.

"It's not though," I can't help but say.

"Ollie knows you're sad. He understands. So don't worry about it. It just made me sad, but I know why you were pushing Ollie away. Never again though, okay?" he asks.

"Okay, I promise." I lean up to try to kiss his cheek, but he's so tall that I can only reach his neck, and so I kiss his neck.

His body shivers soft beside me, making me giggle before leaving another kiss and pulling away. Thank god Mom is still turned away, walking in the direction of the car.

I know once we reach reach home she's going to make me talk it out with her, but I know we both need that. Dad would've wanted that.

I can still feel his presence. It felt like he kept an eye on me while I involuntarily slept beside his headstone. I felt safe with him there. He would never let anything happen to me.

And he may not be here, but he will always be watching over us. His memories and the love he gave us will always be here. We just need to learn to accept what happened. I'm only just learning to not blame myself.

Getting in the car, Ollie lets me sit next to Mom whilst he sat in the back. I put on the seatbelt while Mom put the keys in and started to drive. All of us quiet.

"How did you go there all alone?" Mom asks.

"I took a cab."

We stay quiet the rest of the way. The only sound is from the car and the sound of the streets.

The silence was filled with tension. I know Mom is dying to know everything. She'd never say anything while Ollie is here, she cares about him a lot and me too, but this conversation had to happen with only us.

_____________

Mom and I finally reach home, Ollie being dropped off only a minute before, I knew I'd be calling him later today. They've been searching for me for hours I realized. It's two in the afternoon and Mom's always been the first one up. She must've been worried sick.