Hard Jobs

AN-Alright guys. This chapter is going to go really fast so you gotta keep up with it. I was in ah hurry to write this. Enjoy.

   "Come on, Nick, we have been friends for years and I can see right through you."
   Nick and Finnick were hanging out at a nearby bar in Zootopia that night and the two got into a conversation that Nick didn't expect.
   "No, Fin. We are just friends."
   "Bullshit," Finnick laughed.
   "Oh really. When did you become a love expert?"
   "I'm not bright Nick, but I damn sure ain't blind either. I've had my fair share of moments and I know when there is chemistry."
   Nick would admit, that perhaps he did feel a certain way about the bunny, but was it love?
   "Finnick, I don't love Judy like that."
   "Judy? What happened to 'Carrots'? I don't think I've ever heard you call her by her name."
   "Fin."
   "Alright. Look I'm going to ask you a series of questions and I want you to answer them honestly."
   "Ok?"
   "Alright. Question one; how would you feel if Judy was to date another rabbit?"
   "I don't know. I mean I'd be happy for her, but-"
   "But!" Finnick pointed out,"There is the key word. Continue."
   "But..id want to make sure this guy deserves her."
   "What kind of guy bows she deserve?"
   "Carrots deserves a guy who will always be there for her. He will put her needs before his own. He will lay down his life for her. He will be by her side no matter what. He needs to deserve her."
   "Do you think you deserve her, Nick?"
   "No. I don't deserve her. I mean how would I? I'm an ex-con-artist. I'm a fox. And she's just too amazing. She's too beautiful. She's too-"
   Nick was cut off when he saw Finnicks grin. The red fox then realized what he said.
   "Oh, Nick. You love her. You just don't think you deserve her. You JUST admitted it to me."
   Nick knew the car was out of the bag.
   "Finnick, I can't love her."
   Those words shocked Finnick bigger than the world.
   "Wait! What?"
   "Finnick, think about this for a second. Her parents hate foxes, chief Bogo isn't a fan of relationships at work, and I just don't deserve her."
   "You know what I've heard? I've herd her parents, her boss, and you. You know what I haven't heard? Her. What about her opinion. Does she get a say in who she loves. Nick, I honestly think you've lost your fucking mind."
   "Finnick you don't know."
   "I do know. I've seen both of you and she even told me that she felt the same way. She told me to my face that she loves you, but she's afraid to tell you for the same reasons."
   Nick just looked at the small fox. Was he telling the truth. Did Judy love him too.
   "Finnick. Are you serious?"
   "Is a pigs ass pork?"
   Nick couldn't say anything. How long has he waited to tell her the truth. How much longer is he gonna wait?
   Nick paid for his drinks and left the bar. He had a lot to think about.
###
   Judy was laying in her bed watching a movie as her neighbors gave commentary. Of course she didn't mind it at all. It reminded the bunny that if she were to be brutally attacked someone would hear.
   The movie was halfway through when her phone started ringing.
   "Who is that, neighbor?"
   "It's my parents, Pronk, so shut up!"
   Judy then answered the phone and it went to a video chat with her mom and dad.
   "Hey Judy," the two said in unison.
   "Hey guys. How are you?"
   "Oh just been working on the farm. What about you?"
   "Oh same old same old. Me and Nick have been working on a case for the past couple of days."
   "Oh. How is Nick?"
   "He's fine mom," Judy smiled.
   "Are you fine? Lord knows what that fox could be-"
   "Dad. Imma hit the pause button right there. Nick is not dangerous and he will not hurt me. I trust him with my life even though he is a fox. He is my best friend and you need to respect that."
   "I'm sorry sweetheart. It just worries me when your all alone out there."
   "I know dad. And I understand. So instead of worrying, why don't you just trust Nick. He'll protect me."
   The male bunny just nodded his head. He didn't trust the fox. After all he WAS a FOX.
   "Well guys I'm going to go to sleep. I love you."
   "Goodnight Judy. We love you too."
   The phone then went off and Judy was laying in her bed once more.
   "Are you and the fox dating?"
   "No, Bucky," Judy responded with a blush.
   "Could've fooled me with the way you were just talking about him."
   "Can I go to sleep guys?"
   "Oh yeah. Sorry."
   The two were then silent but there words were ringing in Judy's head. Did she like Nick? The question has stayed in her mind for a long time. At times she would tell herself no. But other times she had the thought of 'what if'?.
   Judy knew she felt some way about Nick that she didn't feel with another mammal. He was sweet and Judy trusted him with her life.
   Judy knew the answer. Although she didn't want to admit it she knew the answer and for some reason it scared her. 
   But she needed to make sure. So, before she went to bed she said four words,"I love Nick Wilde."
   The words felt right. As if she had said them her whole life. And it made her feel good. To just let out those words she would never tell anyone else.
   However, sense she DID say those words out loud they were clearly heard by her neighbors.
   Judy got no sleep that night as the antelopes gave her 'dating advise'.
====
*THE NEXT DAY*
   "Wilde!"
   Judy and Nick were working in their cubicle when the chief called the foxes name.
   "What did you do this time?" Judy asked with a grin.
   "I honestly did nothing. I've been saving my newest prank for next week."
   Judy just shook her head laughing as Nick walked toward the chiefs office.
   "Sir?" Nick said as he walked into the chiefs office.
   "Wilde. We need to have a talk. You have been here for a while now, and your still classified as a rookie. However, I need you to take care of something for me."
   "What would that be chief?"
   "You and Hopps have a new case. It's a vehicular accident case."
   "Well what makes this any different from our other cases?"
   "The call just came in. So, you and Hopps will be the first on the scene. Meaning that you will be the one to break the news to the family of the victim."
   Bogo tried to be calming for this and comfort Nick into it.
   However, Nick knew this was going to be hard.
   "Chief. No disrespect, but why?"
   "Because you'll have to face it one day. Even Hopps had to do it."
   Nick looked at the ground for a quick second taking in a breath before taking the file,"We can handle it chief."
   "Good. Then get to it."
   Nick walked back to the cubicle and Judy noticed something was wrong.
   "You ok, Slick?"
   "Carrots, how do you tell a family that their daughter is dead?"
   "What?"
   Judy was confused till she saw the file under Nicks arm.
   "Bogo told you to..?"
   Nick just nodded his head.
   "Well, I'm not gonna lie to you, it will be hard. You'll feel like your tearing apart someone else's world, but the first one is always the worst. It don't get easier, but it won't get harder. You can do it, Nick."
   The fox just nodded his head and the two drove to the crime scene.
###
   The victim of the crash was a seventeen year old tiger. She was driving home when an eighteen wheeler hit the car heading on.
   It was death on impact. The fox and Bunny let the coroner and another officer on the case take over as they drove to tell the family.
   They parked in front of the house. Nick didn't want to go in, but it was his job.
   "Any advise, Carrots?" Nick asked.
   "Don't hesitate."
   The fox stepped out of the car and walked to the door. He took one last large breath before knocking on the door.
   It opened to reveal a male tiger.
   "Can I help you officer?"
   Then a female tiger came up behind him. Nick guessed it was his wife.
   "Are you Mr. and Mrs. Thirst?"
   "Yes." The two said.
   Nick breathed again.
   "Is your daughter, Carren Thirst?"
   This was when the two got worried,"Yessir."
   Nick was trembling slightly as he took one last deep breath and said,"I'm sorry to tell you, but you daughter was killed in an accident."
   The two tigers suddenly started crying. The news tore them to pieces. Nick stood there as the two continued crying.
   "What happened?" The male asked through tears.
   "She was driving home, and a semi truck came in front of her. She didn't suffer, and felt no pain. I'm very sorry for you loss."
   The female tiger walked to Nick and gave him a hug.
   Nick then turned and walked back to the car. After stepping in he felt Judy grab his arm,"You ok?"
   "That was the hardest thing I have ever done," Nick said.
   "You wanna come to my place? Maybe try and get your mind off it?"
   Nick thought about it before nodding his head.
   They two went to the ZPD and told the chief they would write their repost the next day. They them drove to Judy's apartment.
   The two spent the night watching movies and laughing. Luckily for the two, Bucky and Pronk was out for the night.
   As the night went on, the two enjoyed each others company. Judy really made nick feel a lot better about what had happened earlier. Nick was really happy to have someone like Judy in his life. Then his mind went to the conversation he had with Finnick the previous night.
   "Carrots?" Nick said getting the bunny's attention.   
   "Yeah, Nick?"
   "I wanted to ask you something."
   "Well I can't answer if I don't know the question, dumb fox."
   Nick took a breath and said,"Would you like to go out to dinner some time."
   "Of course. I would love to," Judy said trying not to sound too excited.
   "Great. What about the pizza mutt tomorrow night?"
   "That's sounds great. I'm in."
   Nick felt a large weight come off his chest.
   "Alright then, Carrots. I guess I'm gonna go now. Need sleep for work tomorrow."
   "Goodnight partner," Judy said as she layed in the bed and Nick walked out the door.
   Judy was excited for tomorrow night. And nothing was going to ruin it.
###
   Nick got home and called Finnick.
   "Who the hell is it. It's twelve at night!"
   "It's Nick."
   "Oh hell. What do you want?"
   "Dude you were right! Judy just agreed to go on a date that Friday."
   "What do you mean I was right?"
   "You told me that Judy felt the same way for me." 
   "Oh. Man, I told you that to make you hurry up and tell her how you felt. I knew it would work."
   Nick thought he was going to shout,"Wait. You mean?"
   "Yeah. It's called a hustle Sweetheart."

AN-So yeah. I hope y'all enjoyed this chapter. It was a lot better than I thought it would turn out. Anyway Next chapter is one we have all been waiting for. Nick and Judy's first date.
I guess we'll know how it goes in my my next update.
                           Toodles