Unsettling

Mohammad

I couldn't sleep a wink that night Ammi came to stay with her she asked me to go home and get some rest but I wouldn't budge.

I didn't care what Ammi or any other person would think all I knew is I have to be by her side. I promised to be there for her and I don't intend to break that promise.

She still has not regained consciousness. The doctor said it's due to the high fever she had. Her test result came out the next day she had malaria and her blood pressure is low.

I was really mad to say the least. How can someone be this sick and no else noticed to make it worst they all went and left her by herself had I not found her at that moment what would have happened

I was mad at myself also. Why did I not check the first time I went. I was so angry I couldn't face anyone and I did not understand why I am this angry. Stuff happen that are completely beyond our control but I just can't bring myself to understand it.

Two days later and she only opened her eyes once and that too briefly. So many relatives came to check on her even Yusra that just got married came with her husband.

Her state of being was killing me. I was getting rather impatient with the doctor that kept saying to just give her time she will come around very soon. When is the soon maybe there is more and they are just hiding it from us.

I left the masajid the only other place I go to if I am not with her and made my way back to her room

I heard voices from within I knocked and entered.

"Salamualaikum" I greeted. Mama was standing at the head of the bed blocking my view while Mami was seated in a chair near the bed but her concentration was fixed to the bed.

"I feel hot Mami." called out the softest voice I have been longing to hear one more time.

"Alhamdulillah your fever has finally broke and you have regained consciousness finally. Aside from that are you feeling any pain?"

"No just tried" she let out a sigh " really tired and thirsty."
"Okay don't try to move let me get the doctor" Mama said and turned to leave

"Oh Muhammad you are back. See she has regained consciousness" she smiled and turned towards Zarah who was struggling to open her eyes fully and keep it open cause they kept shutting

I could swear my heart stopped right then and when she let out a soft breath it took on a steady beat. I felt this strange warm feeling that I haven't felt in a long time starting from my chest and moving through my veins towards every part of my body.

I remain rooted to my spot by the door unable to move or say anything.

"Please help me get the doctor or a nurse" I heard someone say in the background
I still remain immobile all my concentration was on her. I did not know how to react now that she is awake should I jump for joy or remain stoic what should I do.

So many things were running through my mind I did not hear or see mama approach me. She touched my arm gently

"A penny for your thought" she said smiling
"Huh?" I frowned, confused
"Get the doctor I said. She is awake now Alhamdulillah "

I looked to her one more time and she still was struggling with her eyes
"Kaji ni Kuwa" Mama nudge me again

"Okay" I nodded my reply and went to get the doctor.

I don't know whats going on but I feel strange.

**********************
Elle

"I can't wait to leave this hospital I smell like a bottle of antiseptic" Zarah said on a groan