XIII

Test 1 - Sacrifice(s)

"Remember when Zellers taught us that with kids we'd have to make a lot of sacrifices ?" I ask Henry. He nods as we sit in the hospital waiting area with 3 out of our 4 kids.

"Yeah. I know I was upset earlier but now I just want my son to be okay. Family always comes first." Henry replies and I hold his hand. His eyes gloss up but just as quick as the tears come, he blinks and they disappear. I, on the other hand, finally stopped crying. We've only had these kids for about a month and a half now and we're both so emotionally attached to them.

Today was the day Henry was supposed to go have his job interview. Five minutes before we were about to leave Aiden had what we think was an anxiety attack. At first it seemed like we had it under control but his heart started beating way too rapidly even for an anxiety attack so we rushed him to the hospital and we'd been waiting for an update when around 25 minutes ago a nurse came out and told us we should be thankful we got him here when we did because a minute later and it wouldn't have been so good. Then she walked away.

"Were you able to text the company about what happened ?" I ask him.

"Yeah, I let them know I wasn't going to be able to make the interview because there was a medical emergency with my son. I debriefed them on what happened and I added in that I hoped they could understand. I haven't gotten a text or anything back yet so." Henry says and I feel bad.

"You should go there, try to talk to them and maybe you can still get the job." I say and Henry looks at me like I'm crazy.

"And leave my wife and kids here ? I think not. I want my little buddy to see Mommy and Daddy are both here waiting for him. I want my other kids to see that no matter what, Daddy puts them first and well I want the girl I really like to know I'm here for her ." Henry says cheekily and I roll my eyes at him as he winks at me. Chinky bastard.

"Hart family?" A voice calls and Henry shoots up out his seat. The boys stop playing and turn their attention to the doctor walking our way. I choose to remain seated not knowing if I have the energy to stand really.

"Yes, right here." Henry answers the doctor who is quickly approaching us.

"I'm sorry to keep you waiting, we had to run some tests to make sure he was clear before sending him home. Your little boy is perfectly healthy and he will be fine. It was indeed an anxiety attack and seeing as it was his first, his body didn't know how to respond so his heart just kept beating as he went into panic mode while already panicking about other things. This shouldn't occur again since it will no longer be new to the body and we don't think this will happen again. He'll be brought down momentarily." The doctor says, smiling at us and I take a breath of relief while Henry shoots a quick thank you to the big man above. The boys cheer and Aaron just blows some spit bubbles.

"Alright, Henry you heard the doctor. Go hurry up and make that quick phone call. We might still be able to get you that job." I say and Henry just looks at me weirdly, his eyebrows are scrunched and he's frowning while his eyes scrutinize the mess out of me.

"You're not gonna give this up huh ?" He asks and I just smile.

"You're wasting time." I say and he rolls his eyes but nonetheless he pulls out his phone and angrily dials in a number. He places the phone to his ear and it doesn't take long for a response.

"Wow yes this is Henry Hart."

"I'm sorry I couldn't make the interview but if you guys have any other position I'll apply for it."

"Yes, I'm still at the Hospital. My wife," he glares at me and I raise my shoulders to feign innocence," insisted that I call to see if there was even a sliver of a chance that I could have the position. I can't say no to her."